We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Nights in San Diego in April- Hoping for suggestions.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
3 Nights in San Diego in April- Hoping for suggestions.

My gf and I are looking at doing a road trip from Calgary to San Diego in April 2014. We plan to spend 3 nights (possibly 4) in San Diego before leaving to spend a little time in Joshua Tree National Park on the way home.

We are leaning towards staying at the San Diego Metro KOA from Monday (Apr 14) to Thursday in a basic cabin. We like the idea of camping without having to bring all our camping supplies that would be require for tenting. And the KOA looks very nice and is convenient to drive to all the sites in San Diego. We have also considered a 3 star Hotwire hotel in Old Towne (likely La Quinta) where we could walk to the train and take it into downtown. But the KOA would be cheaper and probably more enjoyable.

We have some idea of some things we want to do but are open to suggestions. I spent 24 hours in SD about 6 years ago and have been to the Zoo, but she has never been to SD. On our list so far.

-Padres Game

-Zoo/Balboa Park

-Walk around Gaslamp district/downtown

-Coronado Island

-Other beaches

We may consider a drive up to the LA area for additional beaches and maybe another ball game in Anahiem, but I think we are leaning against this option.

Is there anything else you would recommend we do to fill our time? We are in our early 30’s and mostly want to enjoy the nice weather and good food. I assume we should have quite a bit of free time after doing the things listed above.

We are hoping that it will be warm enough to swim at the beaches. I realize that this may not be the case but I have swam in the LA area in April before and we are used to colder temperatures so our standards of what we consider to be “warm enough” is lower.

We will have a car and are trying to stay somewhat budget conscious. We will likely be driving to most of our locations but would consider taking transit if it would save on parking charges.

Thanks for any insights or suggestions you can provide.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,185 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Nights in San Diego in April- Hoping for suggestions.

HI,

I have no experience with the KOA you are considering in the southern part of San Diego county. I cannot see prices for the cabins but am wondering why the choice is between a very low priced cabin and a 3*** motel??

You could get a lower end motel but be closer to your activities if you choose.

The drive from the southern end of the county is filled with traffic so you'd have to be very conscious of your timing but you could get something like the remodeled Motel 6 in downtown San Diego for a very reasonable price and much less than the La Quinta although not sure if they might be the same if you are using Hotwire. There's also the Dolphin Motel to consider since you'll have a car.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Nights in San Diego in April- Hoping for suggestions.

Prices for the cabins look to be about $70 per night plus taxes. I realize we could get a hotel for a similar price, but I think we would prefer to camp over a lower level hotel.

I thought about a downtown hotel, but I assume we'd have to pay for parking at any of these? Which is why we were thinking of Old Towne if we did do a hotel.

Thanks for letting me know about the traffic, that is definitely something we should think about.

Edited: 1:25 pm, November 29, 2013
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,185 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Nights in San Diego in April- Hoping for suggestions.

I suppose it sounds like fun to camp but if you can find a motel in a better location for a similar price , I strongly you suggest that you consider it.

The Dolphin Motel is usually around $75 per night with free parking.

It is near San Diego Bay and very convenient.

There are also very reasonably priced hotels in our Mission Valley/Hotel circle area which is not scenic but is also convenient.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Nights in San Diego in April- Hoping for suggestions.

If you want to be within walking distance to anything the KOA doesn't offer that as far as I can see. Old Town would a better option so you don't have to get into your car for a bite to eat. But that's up to you. The BW Hacienda has been having 'specials' just about every season so you might want to keep your eye on them. Example:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k698975…

You might also look at La Pensione in Little Italy. It's usually under $100 / ni.

There's also a motel in Old Town that's well regarded, the Old Town Inn.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Nights in San Diego in April- Hoping for suggestions.

Thanks for the input on the hotels and location. I will look at those hotels and consider them.

We do want to camp though and when you're camping you don't have to drive anywhere to get a bite to eat.

I am also curious to see if anyone has suggestions related to our daily activities. Thanks.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Nights in San Diego in April- Hoping for suggestions.

You said "We may consider a drive up to the LA area for additional beaches and maybe another ball game in Anahiem, but I think we are leaning against this option."

Are you thinking on doing that during your 3 day visit to San Diego? Including the SD activites you've listed in your first post? You can do the things you've listed and much more in 3 days here. For a short 3 day stay I'm not sure it's worth the drive up and back to LA but that is a personal choice only you can make.

Other things to do here: Cabrillo Nat'l Monument on a clear day. USS Midway and the boardwalk. Rent bikes everywhere. Jet Ski. Segway Tour. Harbor Cruise.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Nights in San Diego in April- Hoping for suggestions.

Yes if we did make a drive up to LA it would be during our 3-4 day SD stay. But definitely leaning against that as I didn't enjoy the LA area nearly as much last time.

Thanks for the suggestions.

8. Re: 3 Nights in San Diego in April- Hoping for suggestions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 01, 2014