We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay Jun-Jul with 11 year old

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
451 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay Jun-Jul with 11 year old

Hi. I'll be in SD end of June with my 11 year old as part of a 10 day west coast trip. We plan to spend 3 nights in SD area before heading up the coast for some time in LA then PCH to SF. While in SD, we want to visit the zoo and sea world. We need a pool, close to restaurants (but doesn't have to be walk to), near a nice beach and easy commute to the Zoo.

Having never been to SD, I'm not even sure which area we should be looking at. Gaslamp? Hotel circle? Mission bay?

Once we figure out the where, I'm also looking for suggestions specifically for chain hotels so I can use my points. Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood or Marriott work for me. It doesn't have to be their luxury brand as long as service and facilities are excellent.

Thanks for any suggestions!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,683 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay Jun-Jul with 11 year old

IF you'll have a car then a very popular hotel with families is Homewood Suites/Liberty Station which is a Hilton brand. It is very easy to get to all places of interest from most spots in the city of San Diego. Liberty Station is a planned community within the city on a site that used to be the Naval Training Center. There are homes/restaurants/greenway/some views of the bay etc. The hotel offers free parking/breakfast/pool/ and some free dinners.

Hotel Circle is central but not scenic at all since it is just a bunch of hotels by the side of a big freeway(highway)

The Gaslamp is just a small part of our small bayfront downtown.

It would have more of an urban feel. We have enjoyed the Bayfront Hilton there with there bay/city view rooms and bayfront pool There's also and Embssy Suites and the Gaslamp Hilton + of course several Marriotts and Sheratons(by Starwood)

The bayfront has a walkway where you can see/visit ships,take bay cruise or maybe the speedboat adventure . Hotels there charge $25-$30 per day for parking but you might be able to manage without a car there for a few days if you choose to take public transit.

Mission Bay and our beaches don't have many chain hotels.

The Hilton Mission Bay is lovely but isolated from restaurants etc. You'd have to drive to get to any restaurants or activities.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
451 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay Jun-Jul with 11 year old

Thanks for the helpful info. We will have a car the entire trip. I'll check out that Homewood Suites for our dates. Any opinion on the San Diego Hilton Resrt and Spa? Is that the same as the Mission Bay Hilton you referred to?

Edited: 10:51 am, November 29, 2013
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,683 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay Jun-Jul with 11 year old

Yes, Sorry it is the old name. It is a lovely property in the middle of Mission Bay Park with miles of trails for walkiing/biking skating etc. There are manmade bays for water activities and the hotel rents bikes/kayaks etc. You can see the fireworks from Sea World there.

The only drawback is that you have to drive to restaurants as there is nothing walkable from the hotel. It is also a drive to the ocean. Not long, but still a drive. We have stayed there for intown staycation and it is nice but you have to either eat on property or be prepared to drive.

I suppose another idea might be the Coronado Marriott but it would not be one of the less expensive possibilities!

Edited: 11:03 am, November 29, 2013
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
451 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay Jun-Jul with 11 year old

Checked out the Homewood and it may fit the bill for us. It's a few more points than the other but with free breakfast for 3 it will be the better deal in the end I think... Plus the separate bedroom will be nice to have. Thanks for your help.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,683 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay Jun-Jul with 11 year old

Don't forget FREE parking too!! The other hotels all charge for that!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay Jun-Jul with 11 year old

Homewood Suites LS is a good choice!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
451 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay Jun-Jul with 11 year old

Debating btw Homewood in LS and Embassy Suites in La Jolla. Any opinions on how these compare? Is La Jolla too out of the way? We definitely have a beach day planned and wouldn't mind a little extra drive to the zoo as long as it would not be a traffic jam on a weekdaymorning...

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,683 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay Jun-Jul with 11 year old

La Jolla is not too out of the way BUT the Embassy Suites La Jolla is not really in the La Jolla neighborhood which is on the other side of the I-5 freeway .

The ES La Jolla is across the street from the UniversityTowne Center Mall with an indoor ice skating rink and lots of restaurants in walking distance in the mall and in nearby blocks.

It is in an area with condos and many financial headquarters and is about a 15min. drive to the ocean in the La Jolla neighborhood. It also offers cooked breakfast,evening cocktail and hors douevre hour and I think an indoor swimming pool. You'd have to pay for parking at the hotel but there is also free parking on the street across from the hotel.

It is about a 20min. drive from there on the freeway to the zoo and maybe 15min. to Sea world.

Edited: 3:37 pm, November 29, 2013
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
451 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay Jun-Jul with 11 year old

Thanks for the details. So hard to plan something for somewhere with all these options when we have never been. Not that I'm complaining if that's our only problem! Definitely want to spend a day at La Jolla and another 1 or 2 at the zoo, I guess either option would work but, being close to the airport would be a plus as we arrive after 10pm and for us, coming in from Boston, it will feel so much later.

Thanks again for your help.

New York
Level Contributor
949 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay Jun-Jul with 11 year old

If you want to be near the beach check out athe Catamaran in Pacific Beach...it is near a long boardwalk that continues to mission beach which has a small anusemeny park. Also close driving distance o la jolla. You can daytrip to the downtown area and other attractions.

Edited: 4:52 pm, November 29, 2013