We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family-friendly neighborhood for month-long stay in SD

Cold Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Family-friendly neighborhood for month-long stay in SD

Hello from snowy Canada!

We are a young family (children aged 2 & 5) and we will be staying in San Diego for a month in February to escape our dark northern winter.

In choosing our vacation rental, we could use some help sorting through the various SD neighborhoods - what is family-friendly, walkable, restaurants, playgrounds, parks, coffee shops, etc. We will visit the big sights some days, we will have a car for that, but mostly we'd just like to live as a local family would, with trips to the beach and farmer's markets and walk around with our kids. So location is very important to us.

Particularly interested in being near a beach for sand play and walks. Oh and coffee shops. :)

Our budget is under $200/night or under $5000/month.

We found this rental on VRBO at Mission Bay ("Sail Bay" - do people swim in these bays?? How is the beach there?)

http://www.vrbo.com/442976

Could someone advise on the neighborhood around there? Will we be able to walk or will we mostly have to drive to restaurants, groceries, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your tips!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family-friendly neighborhood for month-long stay in SD

Hi Happy Trails. Welcome to San Diego!

It looks to be right near Fanuel Park which is a nice area. Easy to get to the major sites from that location.

The only thing I'll point out is that there are no restaurants or cafes in the immediate area. As in just step out your door for a bite to eat. The closest are a little over half a mile away. Which is probably a 10 to 15 min walk.

This map will show you

http://goo.gl/maps/seyWh

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family-friendly neighborhood for month-long stay in SD

Check out Pacific Beach I think that would be a good area for you...nice boardwalk with walkable restaurants. Also Coronado which is different but beautiful.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,689 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family-friendly neighborhood for month-long stay in SD

It IS Pacific Beach but facing Mission Bay Park near the Fanuel St.playground which is great for little ones. You'll find lots of young moms with their kiddos at the playground.

I'd say that most folks who live in that area would drive to supermarkets or take some sort of shopping cart/rolling suitcase if they needed lots of items!

That is typically what folks in southern California do.

Here is a map that shows the playground location and nearby supermarkets:

http://goo.gl/maps/R8BrU

IF you click on "get directions" it will tell you how far away each one is from your location.

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family-friendly neighborhood for month-long stay in SD

Hi Happy Trails,

To answer your question about swimming in the bay, many kids play around the bay and stick their feet in the water along the shoreline, but I would avoid swimming in it. I've had to swim in the bay for water safety training. I didn't get sick, but it's not the cleanest water to be in. Also, Sail Bay is where a lot of people take out the hobie cats and mini sail boats, so maybe that's something the family can do.

The ocean is a short bike ride away (Pacific Beach & Mission Beach). There is plenty of beach for you to enjoy. The water is cold right now. Also be aware of rip currents if the kids decide to play in the water.

Enjoy your time here!

Edited: 6:17 pm, November 16, 2013
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family-friendly neighborhood for month-long stay in SD

We stayed here recently for a family vacation. The owner is a coworker of my husband. Amazing location. He may be willing to work out a deal with you for a month long rental. I am not too sure how that works.

http://www.vrbo.com/357318#

Cold Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family-friendly neighborhood for month-long stay in SD

Thanks for the input, especially on there being no cafes or restaurants in the immediate area. That Google map showing restaurants was very useful!

Looks to be a great playground at Fanuel Park. Any idea how quiet / or rowdy this beach and park area is at night?

We'll do our swimming in the pool rather than Sail Bay, then. :)

We are considering a rental in Coronado: http://www.vrbo.com/453765

Looks closer to restaurants, shops, etc. Would this be a family-oriented neighborhood? Quiet beaches? Easy to get on and off the island for visiting sights by car?

Thanks again for your input. :)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,689 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family-friendly neighborhood for month-long stay in SD

Fanuel Playground and the surrounding bay beaches are in a quiet area at night--mostly young families not rowdy teens or college students.

The Coronado is different in that the beach will be an ocean facing wide white sandy beach with some sand dunes to explore. Restaurants and shopping will be on the main street called Orange Ave.

Here is another Google map that shows the restaurants:

http://goo.gl/maps/Ev8Kt

You can use it to also search nearby for supermarkets.

There is a no toll bridge that leads off of Coronado which is actually a peninsula attached to the mainland. On the other side of the bridge you'll be right in downtown San Diego near the zoo and Balboa Park. There's also a passenger ferry you can use if you want to leave your car at home.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family-friendly neighborhood for month-long stay in SD

The location of the rental on Coronado is an excellent one. Many restaurants just a very short walk away. Morning coffee at Panera Bread on 10th & Orange. Afternoon wine at Wine Sytles on Orange between 9th & 10th. Many choices. And there is a Von's supermarket right there on 9th and Orange.

Oh, and Moo Time Creamery is right there

www.nadolife.com/mootime/loc-coronado.html

The beach just a short walk away. I like this location. When I worked on Coronado I liked to get sandwiches from Park Place Liquor & Deli. Get their Frequent Visitor Discount card. Buy 10 sandwiches get one free! Should be able to do in one month ...

Edited: 12:18 pm, November 18, 2013
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family-friendly neighborhood for month-long stay in SD

The Mission Beach area with lots of VRBO is great, I like this beach near Belmont Park for kids.

sandiegocoastlife.com/attractions/mission-ba…

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family-friendly neighborhood for month-long stay in SD

Oh, and I forgot. Look how many parks there are on Coronado

http://goo.gl/maps/wbI75

And just across Orange there's a place to rent bikes (if the rental doesn't come with bikes.) But with the young ones you might want to rent a 4 seater surrey.