We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic on I-5 on thanksgiving day

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Topic
Traffic on I-5 on thanksgiving day

Travelling south from Sacramento to SD I need to know how bad traffic is going to be on the day of thanksgiving.

A friend suggested that due to holiday there will be none yet another mentioned we have to leave the night before in order to escape the LA traffic. What do you think?

Also we are heading back Sunday at noon. How bad traffic is going to be then?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,061 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic on I-5 on thanksgiving day

You'll hit lots of traffic in both directions!

We've done the drive south(instead of north) on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and it took us 4 hrs. just to get through Orange County!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic on I-5 on thanksgiving day

Both days can be bad, it has a lot of factors involved.

Will you have a GPS with live traffic updates, or will a passenger be able to access a Smart Phone with an app that handles live traffic and alternative routes?

I think you drive down should be OK as it will be later in the day (many locals will use the morning to go from point A to B in Southern California). The Sunday drive might be more worrisome, I would try and get on the road as soon as possible.

FYI, the main radio stations for traffic in Southern California, KNX 1070 AM is the big one, also KFI 640- AM, and in San Diego KOGO 600 AM and KFMB 760 AM.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
974 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic on I-5 on thanksgiving day

Well its looks like a straight shot down I-5, but no matter when you come there will be bottlenecks in Los angeles, but if you are traveling with two people there is a carpool lane fro most of the I-5. I would check google maps (traffic flow) if possible and you can always take the I-405 and connect up to the I-5 later.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic on I-5 on thanksgiving day

Another good tool if you have Internet access is www.sigalert.com for live traffic info.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic on I-5 on thanksgiving day

we also have an option to leave the NorCal wednesday night at midnight so we get there early morning on thanksgiving day.

But convincing my group to do that would be an uphill battle

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,856 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic on I-5 on thanksgiving day

I would not take the 5 all the way, I think going thorough Downtown LA any time is a pain and the stretch between LA and Orange County is a pain. I'd take the route in the map below.

http://goo.gl/maps/d6CnD

Even though in theory it is longer, it is generally faster.

Thanksgiving Day will have some bad times, but in general, much lighter than a normal day.

Sunday is a different story..... a lot of people who maybe came in during the week before Thursday will be heading back Sunday most likely.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic on I-5 on thanksgiving day

Are you trying to get to SD to have Thanksgiving Dinner with relatives in the afternoon, and do you have a place to stay when you get there?

My son's don't get off work until Wednesday evening. One lives north of you, one used to in SF. They would rather wake up home on Thanksgiving then rush all day to get there in time for dinner Thursday. They drive south after work, are packed to go, sometimes getting home at 1 or 2 am. Then sleep in.

If not trying to make Thanksgiving Dinner, then my advice may not be for you.

On Sunday, I'm afraid you'll run into some traffic like the rest of us. Know it, and go with it!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
427 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic on I-5 on thanksgiving day

The traffic on thanksgiving day is the worst traffic day of the year IMO. I would certainly leave late wed night or super early Thursday. Traffic starts getting bad at 10:00am and Southbound on the 5 through OC is a mess.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traffic on I-5 on thanksgiving day

It will be heavier through the LA area, everyone is driving to grandma's house after noon time.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
81 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Traffic on I-5 on thanksgiving day

I think this is what I am going to do.

I leave Sacramento 3 AM on thanksgiving day.

Pick up a friend from oakland at 4 AM.

Join the rest of the group in San Jose at 5.

Leave san jose at 5 or 5:15 AM

Arrive in San Diego around 3 or 4 pm.

How is that for a plan ?