We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego with teenagers

London
Level Contributor
242 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego with teenagers

Hi

We are planning a trip to the West Coast from the UK with our two teenage sons next summer - they will be 13 and 15. We will have three nights in San Diego but I'm unsure where we should stay.

We will want to be close to restaurants so we can walk out in the evenings and close enough to the main attractions (Balboa Park, the zoo, the beaches etc).

I would like some advice on the best area to stay. I've been to SD before, but that was many years ago! I've kind of narrowed our preferences down to Gaslamp and Mission Beach or Pacific Beach.

We will be doing a lot of travelling, sightseeing and hiking on our holiday, and San Diego will be one of our last stops, so we'd like to chill out and just do some fun, hassle-free stuff...

Any advice gratefully received. All hotel tips welcome too!

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Balboa Park
Balboa Park
10,642 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,038 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: San Diego with teenagers

I agree that Pacific Beach is a good location with a car. You don't give your dates so I'll just say to stay away from the dates around July 18 - 21. Summertime is already our high / busy season but our biggest SD conference of the year, ComicCon, is those dates. Hotels will be impossible to get.

I could be wrong but you might not find many vacation rentals for 3 days in the summer.

Here is a website to the USS Midway. See if you think it's something that you and your sons will enjoy.

http://www.midway.org/

Mentioned in this post
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,038 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,635 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: San Diego with teenagers

Hotels downtown will definitely be impossible on the dates that elizzie mentioned but not sure if all the beach hotels will be affected??

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: San Diego with teenagers

For ComicCon, yes, I think the beach hotels are affected. Especially since in years past people have said they can't find a hotel closer than Del Mar or Carlsbad. Or further inland, etc. Or, if they can find a hotel at the beach it's $$$$$. I recall this summer there were some hotels for 4th of July around $400 / ni. So I think ComicCon would demand those same prices.

Mentioned in this post
Del Mar
Del Mar
California
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
13 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: San Diego with teenagers

I would only stay in the Mission Beach area if I had a car. You will have to drive to every meal and activity that isn't the beach. If you want easy then somewhere in downtown would probably be best. You can walk to most any restaurant and some attractions like the USS Midway. Taxi's would also be plentiful to take you to Balboa (the zoo), Sea World, Mission Beach or Coronado. Gaslamp is a little skewed towards the over 21 crowd, but a meal there with kids is perfectly fine. Downtown will also most likely be more expensive than Mission depending on the time. If you have note made your reservations yet, definitely avoid ComicCon weekend unless you are specifically going to it. San Diego gets very overrun and expensive that weekend. I think Downtown will be more hassle free since you dont have to worry about constantly getting in the car, but it really depends on what you will be spending most of your time doing.

Mentioned in this post
The Mission
The Mission
327 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Balboa Park
Balboa Park
10,642 Reviews
San Diego, CA
SeaWorld
SeaWorld
8,946 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Coronado
Coronado
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
15. Re: San Diego with teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 01, 2014