We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching in early November?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Novi, Michigan...
12 posts
Save Topic
Whale watching in early November?

Hello,

My husband and I are taking a trip to California this November. We are trying to decide between whale watching in San Diego (we would be there around November 1st) Or Monterey Bay (around November 7th). I thought that grey whales migrated from mid-December to March, so I'm not sure if we will actually see anything. When I looked up information on Monterrey, it said that humpback and killer whales can be seen in November. I also would love to see dolphins and sea lions, but I've always been interested in whales.

Thanks!

Amy

Chula Vista...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
2,608 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching in early November?

Hi Amy,

You're correct. The gray whale migration runs from mid-December through mid- to end of February. We have had some random blue whale sightings 7-8 miles off the coast recently but there's really no guarantee that you'll see something.

I can't speak to what's visible up near Monterey that time of year.

Zed

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,052 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching in early November?

Flagships website states that the whale watching season begins Dec 26 this year

http://www.sdhe.com/whale-watching

3. Re: Whale watching in early November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 02, 2014