We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going from San Diego to Newport Beach-- Where to stay?.

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ATLANTA
Level Contributor
815 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Going from San Diego to Newport Beach-- Where to stay?.

We're planning to fly into SD in late October and will probably stay for 5 or 6 nights. We'll go to Coronado, SD, and up the coast as far as Newport Beach. We may also catch the ferry to Catalina Island. I'd appreciate suggestions for where to stay in SD and in a town to the north. The middle of the price range would be satisfactory.

We are seniors, but can still walk and hike and are avid photographers and do not care to do any water sports other than possibly a cruise.

Thanks in advance,

Kent

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going from San Diego to Newport Beach-- Where to stay?.

Hi Kent! Please tell us what "middle of the price range" is in $. It can mean a different amount to different people.

It also helps to know if you'd like to be within walking distance to places to eat or if that doesn't matter to you.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going from San Diego to Newport Beach-- Where to stay?.

Just this week we planned to stay Newport Beach but the hotel we fancied had no vacancy for the weekend. It's called Bay Shore hotel and it's worth checking it out. We saw it from the road and saw the beachumbrellas on the roof but did not stay. Good luck!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going from San Diego to Newport Beach-- Where to stay?.

Sounds like the Gaslamp would be good. Close to Coronado. Lots of restaurants. Mid range. Going by my estimates in dollars rather than adjectives, I'd suggest one of the Marriots. Either the Gaslamp or the Marquis. The Westgate was extremely popular with San Diego's recent mayor. Sheets have been changed. Hilton Bayfront. The Omni. The Hyatt Manchester next to Seaport Village has been recently remodeled. All are mid range. Running about $350-400 on up. Newport Beach. It goes without saying that the Resort at Pelican Hill is the place to stay. At the upper mid range. But shop around the sites and you can probably get it at under $600. Bargain for upper mid range.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Going from San Diego to Newport Beach-- Where to stay?.

Consider the Balboa Bay Resort. Directly on Newport Harbor. Can watch the boats go by or rent an electric Duffy boat (like a waterborne golf cart) and cruise around looking at the homes of the very rich and once-famous.

balboabayresort.com/newport-beach-ca-hotels

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Going from San Diego to Newport Beach-- Where to stay?.

Balboa Bay is a good location. Bit on the low end of midrange. But if slumming it and given that there are no Motel 6s nearby it would do in a pinch.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,931 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going from San Diego to Newport Beach-- Where to stay?.

My senior citizen parents love La Pensione in Little Italy.

Up north I'd look in Laguna Beach, maybe the Holiday Inn, maybe the Best Western or Pacific Edge. it just depends on what you can get for prices from the Internet.

ATLANTA
Level Contributor
815 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going from San Diego to Newport Beach-- Where to stay?.

elizzie4000,

Sorry I can't define "middle of the road" because it varies so much by wherever you are. When you go to Paris, New York, Key West and some of those places "middle" is much more than Lone Pine or Bishop along CA Hwy 395. I guess what I was trying to ask is I'm not interested in 5 Star and I'm not interested in a bug infested place.

I live in Atlanta and there aren't that many places where you can live and walk to a restaurant so I don't mind driving to eat unless parking is a problem or it costs a lot of $$$. I was in San Fran last Sept and they wanted to charge $15 just to park at a restaurant. I was by myself and I passed.

My wife will be with me on this trip and any suggestions will be appreciated. I probably shouldn't say this but after 45 years of marriage and 48 years of knowing someone, ambiance and candlelight dinners aren't as important as it was in the past.

Kent

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going from San Diego to Newport Beach-- Where to stay?.

:) Cute last comment :)

How about Little Italy. La Pensione is a smaller boutique hotel right in the heart. Restaurants, cafes out the door so no need to pay to park at any. If you need a pool then it won't work. If OK w/o a pool you can walk down to the Bay and along the boardwalk past the Maritime Museum, Russian Sub, the Harbor Tour boats, the Ferry to Coronado, USS Midway, Seaport Village. From Little Italy you can also catch the Trolley to further Downtown or Old Town or even two shopping malls in Mission Valley. To get around to most places in your car it's usually from 10 minutes to 25 minutes depending on where you're going.

http://www.lapensionehotel.com/

http://www.sdmts.com/home1.asp?from=mobile

The other hotels that are in Little Italy are Best Western Plus Bayside, Doubletree, Residence Inn

…bestwestern.com/bestwestern/…

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

marriott.com/hotels/…

There's also a Sheraton 4 points but the reviews I've read haven't been too good. Parking at the hotels in Little Italy is cheaper than Downtown hotels.

There, are of course other areas to stay. Shelter Island, Coronado, Pacific Beach. If you want to be right facing the ocean look to Pacific Beach for a place to stay. Catamaran (on Mission Bay a block from the beach), Pacific Terrace, Capri by the Sea, Tower 23.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Going from San Diego to Newport Beach-- Where to stay?.

Kent... you know your budget. Why can't you state in dollars what you are prepared to pay for a night in a hotel? What is so hard about that? You still haven't answered. So people waste their time trying to help you with out the info they need. Suggest you just wing it.

10. Re: Going from San Diego to Newport Beach-- Where to stay?.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 29, 2014