We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All day tour or Beach

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
All day tour or Beach

I am traveling with coworkers to San Diego and staying in the Gas lamp District. Myself and another coworker have 1 whole day that we will have free to do whatever. Thought about day tour to Tijuana, not seeing very many good reviews. Then thought maybe we should beach it. Any suggestions? Will be the week of the 20th of Sept.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All day tour or Beach

Are you planning on driving to the beach? Or using public transportation?

An option you might want to consider is the Old Town Trolley Tour.

http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/

It covers several neighborhoods like Old Town, Little Italy and will take you to the beach / Village of Coronado. Beautiful wide white beach and the Village has some cute boutique shops and there are lots of places to eat or have a drink. It's a Hop On Hop Off.

If you don't want to take the Tour and you don't have a car you can take the #901 Bus from Downtown direct to the beach on Coronado in about 20 - 30 mins depending on traffic. Or you can take the Ferry to the Coronado Ferry Landing with some shops, places to eat. From there you can either take a Bus or Taxi to the beach.

coronadovisitorcenter.com/directions/…

If you have a car you have more choices of places to visit and see.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: All day tour or Beach

Head over to either Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, or La Jolla (they are all neighbors). Rent a bike and cruise around on the boardwalk. Layout, Grab lunch, dinner, and relax. Pacific & Mission Beach are going to have a lot of bars and crowds. La Jolla is going to be more mellow (It will still be bustling in the village, just less rowdy) and the beaches are nicer because some of the nooks and crannies are white sand.

Honestly, I was born and raised San Diego and went to Tijuana a lot because my family had a factory there. It's really nothing all that special and a waste of time unless you want to go down there to buy really cheap stuff. Or, you're 18 and that's the closest place that an American teenager can legally drink. Other than that, it's crowded and dirty. There's a reason why there's always at least a 3+ hour wait in the AM at the border to come over to the U.S. Everyone there doesn't want to be there. So, if you're still considering Tijuana, I highly suggest that it's crossed off your itinerary.

If you have any further questions, feel free to let me know. Enjoy your time!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All day tour or Beach

We don't know if the OP will have a car to get around. If they do a visit to PB and MB would be good. If not, they need to understand that it'll take an hour on the Bus one way for the most part to get to the beaches there.

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All day tour or Beach

Wow! That sounds a lot better! Beach it is! And the Hop on Hop off sounds great. Now, since you both did such a great job on that advice, do you have any other suggestions on where to eat in the Gas Lamp district? Or anything else we should not miss while with the group?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: All day tour or Beach

If you don't have a car, there's always the option of Car2Go http://sandiego.car2go.com/. Smart Car rentals that you can use when you need it, and they have multiple locations in San Diego where you can pick up and park it. They are parked through out the city.

As for dining suggestions, I personally do not dine out in Gas Lamp all that much, however, there are a couple places that have been long time fixtures like Croce's (28 Years). Croce's is very well known for their jazz & blues musicians that perform there in addition to the food served. They have live music every night. It is located in a historic building on 5th Avenue. Due to lease disputes, its doors will be closing December 31, 2013, so I think that is a place place worth going to.

Otherwise, I would take a PediCab, Car2Go, and maybe even walk (depending where you're staying) to Little Italy for food. Craft & Commerce is very popular as well as PrepKitchen and D'Avantis. Even though it's a French cafe in Little Italy, Fabrison's creperie is also really good.

Edited: 6:26 pm, August 20, 2013
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All day tour or Beach

If you're out of your meeting in time for Happy Hour do take advantage of the special offers. Especially the food. I've recently found myself sitting at the outdoor patio of Lou & Mickey's and have had some really good, inexpensive food at HH.

louandmickeys.com/pdfs/LM_Happy_Hour_201304.…

And the $2 tacos from La Fiesta

http://www.lafiestasd.com/LFSpecialMenus.pdf

Hopping Pig doesn't post their HH menu - most places don't - but I had a really good braised short rib for half price

thehoppingpig.com/site/…

Despite their name Nickey Rottens has good food and a good HH

http://www.nickyrottens.com/gaslamp/

And La Puerta

http://www.lapuertasd.com/

There are just so many restaurants in Downtown SD where the Gaslamp is only a small part of.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All day tour or Beach

As far as getting to Little Italy I would take a taxi or the Trolley (I'd hop in a cab frankly). I would Not take a pedicab. They are slow, you need to negotiate the fare, and I don't think they're safe. As a driver who has gotten cut off regularly by these ____ pedicabs I can't recommend them. A taxi is probably $5.

If you happen on HH there are a few places that you can get a full size (dinner plate size) pizza for $5 and a glass of wine for $5. Isola is one. Zia's pizza I believe is $7. Po Pazzo has a good menu. Bencottos food is good as is the already mentioned Davanti Enoteca.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: All day tour or Beach

The cab to Little Italy is an option also, I agree, but I personally don't like the Cabs just because I feel so ripped off sometimes and they're not the safest drivers either because most aren't from here. I've definitely seen them run a few red lights and get into a few accidents, so PediCab or Regular Cab....choose your poison :)

It's about 1.5 miles from Gaslamp to Little Italy, so walking will take about 30 minutes, while the trolley (Green Line) will take about 20 minutes. You can take India Street and walk North all the way to Little Italy, or you can take North Harbor Drive and walk along San Diego Bay to get to Little Italy as well. I prefer walking because you get to enjoy the outdoors. It's also nice to walk after a great meal. Top off the walk with an espresso, cappuccino, or latte...I think it would be a great way to enjoy San Diego.

Edited: 7:27 pm, August 20, 2013
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All day tour or Beach

I take cabs fairly regularly here in Downtown SD and they are not expensive or a rip off. What's $5? A round trip on the Trolley is $5 and takes 15 mins longer to get to Little Italy. However, if someone has the time and wants to take the Trolley that's fine. The distance from Downtown / Gaslamp is short in a taxi. Likely less than 5 mins - I don't see a problem and have never had a problem.

To the OP if you go out in Little Italy and have dinner / drinks and it's dark just hail a cab in the street. There are some blocks between that are office bldgs which will be closed at night and some of the streets are quiet and feel a bit deserted. I'm female and live Downtown and walk regularly further into Downtown as well as Little Italy. It is common for me to take a taxi home.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,477 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All day tour or Beach

My brother has lived in Pacific Beach for over 30 years and we love visiting the area. North of Garnet Ave is less crowded, but lots of shops and restaurants to choose from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp-KJpEvq_o

You don't have anything like it in Souix Falls!