We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for food and bars

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for food and bars

Hi, my husband and I will be visiting San Diego for 4 days in September (Fri-Mon) and would love to hear some locals suggestions for the following. We are staying at the Palomar Hotel and don't have a car, we are more likely to go to places within walking distance (we like walking so doesn't have to be super close to the hotel), will consider taking a cab if you think it's worth the trip. Don't really have a budget; we love seafood, mexican food, organic/farm to table, craft beers on tap and cocktails. Thanks for you help!

Best seafood restaurant?

Best place to eat in Little Italy?

Best mexican food?

Suggestions of places to eat at Coronado?

Best dive bar to watch Sunday NFL?

Your recommendations for bars/lounges - craft beer and cocktails?

Best beach bar or bar with water views?

Best Italian espresso style coffee?

Best place for breakfast?

Also any good bookstores you can recommend.

Thanks again :)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,935 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for food and bars

Hi,

This won't answer all your questions but it is a good place to start getting ideas :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k676912…

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for food and bars

Broadahans - I'm sorry, but you aren't going to get a definitive answer to the very vague "best" question. My best is not going to be the best to the person standing next to me. There is really no good answer to "best".

What we "like" is a better question. Even then you'll get different answers.

For example "Best place to eat in Little Italy" For what kind of food and budget? Little Italy isn't just Italian food places although there are some good ones. I really like Buon Apettito which has been there for years and has solid Italian food, Then there's Prep Kitchen, Po Pazzo, Craft & Commerce, etc. Non of which are considered Italian.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for food and bars

Little Italy - 2nd Craft & Commerce, also Underbelly is quite good.

Craft beer/cocktails downtown - The Neighborhood / Nobel Experiment (speakeasy)

Mexican - Ortega's, where else can you get lamb enchiladas?

Blue Water grill = excellent fish tacos

Sea Food w/ view = C Level

Beach Bar w/ view = JRDN (PB), Cali Kabob (PB), South Coast (OB)

NFL game = anywhere on Garnet Ave in PB

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,370 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for food and bars

So here are the correct answers :)

Best seafood restaurant? The Fishery

Best place to eat in Little Italy? Underbelly

Best Mexican food? Super Cocina

Suggestions of places to eat at Coronado? Candelas, Tartine, Leroy's Kitchen + Lounge, Vigilucci's Ristorante, Bruger Lounge..... just depends on what kind of food you want on Coronado

Best dive bar to watch Sunday NFL? Rocky's Crown Pub, a bonus choice since they have SD's best burger

Your recommendations for bars/lounges - craft beer and cocktails? too many to even start

Best beach bar or bar with water views? Green Flash

Best Italian espresso style coffee? Caffe Italia Little Italy

Best place for breakfast? Antique Row Cafe

But okay... seriously.... just because I think they are the best doesn't mean squat, because we have no idea what you are looking for.

Let's take breakfast for example, I love Antique Row Cafe, they have good chicken fried steak, and big cinnamon rolls and some creative stuff. But are they really the best? Do I really think they are the best? Some days, but some days I think Cafe 21 is when I want Azerbijani breakfast and some days I think The Field is when I want Irish breakfast and then other days I like other places based on what they specialize in.

It is the same way down the whole list. The Fishery has great seafood, but so do a dozen other places, some like C Level & Roy's have better settings right on the water.

Super Cocina is probably the best Mexican.... but of their style of Mexican. Mexico has lots of regions with very different styles. Just like China has Hunan, Sicuan, Cantonese, Mandarin, etc, Mexico has Oaxacan, Michoacan, Sonoran, and so on. And then there modern Mexican restaurants like Romesco Baja Med that are pushing Mexican cuisine into haute cuisine.

Bottom line is I would do research on all the recommendations you get using Yelp.com and Chowhound.com. I don't think Yelp is great at recognizing the best, but it is very good at weeding out the bad.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for food and bars

You really must get over to Coronado "island". There's a nice area just where the ferry lets off, but even better sidewalk "down town" area on Orange Ave. close to the Del Coronado Hotel (worth a walk around inside). Take your car across the bridge or see about the "tolley" system. They drop off over there as well, I believe. Really casual atmosphere over on Orange Ave with a FULL range of eating options & small businesses. Parking is by meter, but is shockingly low cost (a lot higher elsewhere in SD). Sidewalk cafes are so enjoyable there. The beaches there are HUGE as well, and not nearly as crowded as those easier to get to (OB & PB for instance). Have fun!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for food and bars

Thanks for the link I'll check it out, appreciate your help!

Edited: 6:35 am, August 20, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for food and bars

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated. I did toy with the idea that "best" may not be the "best" (haha!) word to use - but wasn't sure what other word to go for. What I was really seeking were just some suggestions on what was close to our hotel that locals recommended, and if there were any places in the other neighbourhoods that were worth travelling to - although I can understand that everyone's taste is different. I just know that if someone asked me these questions about where I live I could hands down give them a handful of amazing places to check out, whether it be for the food, drinks or atmosphere that are unique to the town I live in. I guess what I was really looking for was places that make San Diego special - you know, the kinds of places you talk about for years after your holiday is over. Thanks again for the suggestions Riff M, Bill_92109, scottca075 and Dan N will check them all out and I'm sure our holiday to San Diego is going to be epic regardless!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for food and bars

I did give you some suggestions as well: "I really like Buon Apettito which has been there for years and has solid Italian food, Then there's Prep Kitchen, Po Pazzo, Craft & Commerce, etc. Non of which are considered Italian."

Just to clarify something that Dan N said regarding getting to Coronado:

"Take your car across the bridge or see about the "tolley" system. They drop off over there as well, I believe."

Our Trolley system Does Not go to Coronado. There is a 'Tour' called the Old Town Trolley Tour that does go to Coronado. It's a Hop On Hop Off Tour.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for food and bars

The Palomar Hotel is on the far North end of the Gaslamp Qtr on 5th Avenue. From your hotel you are walking distance to just about any restaurant in Downtown SD. From 1 minute to approx 20 mins walk to the far corner where Seaport Village is.

A place that serves good seafood and is right on the Bay with a nice view is The Fish Market. It's a large bldg w a bar & outdoor patio, an oyster bar and a sushi bar. Upstairs is the nicer, quieter restaurant called Top of the Market which also has an outdoor patio. If you do eat downstairs I would definitely book a table on the patio because when it's busy it's extremely noisy and zoo-like in the lobby area. Or go on an off time.

Since you're going to be here on a Sat morning I'd definitely recommend that you check out the Little Italy Mercado. Definitely take the short taxi ride to Little Italy and have a couple of meals there. And if you like beer check out 98 Bottles

http://www.littleitalysd.com/mercato/

http://98bottlessd.com/

The oldest bar in San Diego is the Waterfront in Little Italy and they have good food.

http://www.waterfrontbarandgrill.com/

http://tinyurl.com/mq3pwk8

I really like sitting on the outdoor patio at Roy's Hawaiian Fusion in the Marriott Marquis Marina right on the - marina.

If you want the best view in SD go to Bertrand at Mister A's. Their outdoor patio and bar have a different menu from the formal dining room.

http://www.bertrandatmisteras.com/

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for food and bars

sorry Elizzie4000 thank you as well. We will probably take advantage of the hop on hop off trolley tour as well only have 4 days and it looks like the best way to see the city - I am especially looking forward to seeing Balboa Park and Coronado. Craft and Commerce comes up often so will definitely check that out. Thanks for your other suggestions as well I'll look into all of them. We are very excited to visit San Diego and appreciate all your help!