We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

40th Wedding Anniversary Family Vacation Hotel Help Needed

MA
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
40th Wedding Anniversary Family Vacation Hotel Help Needed

We are planning on traveling to San Diego as a family for my in-laws 40th wedding anniversary. Our travel dates are July 1st for 7 or 8 nights in 2014. There will be 4 families (2 adults 1 kid, 2 adults 2 kids, 2 adults 2 toddlers and 2 elderly adults) so we will need 4 rooms. One of the kids has severe allergies so we need a stove, microwave and refrigerator for at least one room. We would like to be in somewhat close vicinity of San Diego for Zoo, Sea World and a nice dinner for 40th wedding anniversary so taking recommendations on that as well. We would like a hotel with a pool for the kids. I have not been able to find any hotels within our budget of around $200 a night per room except for the Old Town Inn which did not pass approval from the elderly couple. I was able to find Homewood Suites in Carlsbad but just worry we will be spending a good amount of time in the car due to traffic and distance. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,018 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 40th Wedding Anniversary Family Vacation Hotel Help Needed

First of all it is kind of early to see real prices for July 2014.

July is high season here at any of our beaches so if you want more for your money you need to look away from the beach. The Old Town Inn is a low budget alternative usually for folks who want to spend much less than $200 per night.

Have you considered a vacation rental or a few that are near each other instead of a hotel?

Have you looked at the other Homewood Suites or the Residence Inns ?

Have you checked using AAA rates or senior rates to see if you can get a little discount?

Have you considered staying for less than a whole week so that your budget per night might be higher?

Once we help you find a good location we can discuss dinner as there are many choices scattered throughout the city.

Is the stove really necessary or can a microwave and fridge be enough to prepare food for that child?

I know I have asked a lot of questions but sometimes we can't make the best suggestions without having all the info.

MA
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 40th Wedding Anniversary Family Vacation Hotel Help Needed

A vacation rental is a possibility . I have checked all the Residence Inn and I believe all the Homewood Suites with AAA rates. A stove would be needed for at least one room as all meals need to be prepared. The length of stay and budget is being determined by in-laws. The budget for hotel night might be a little flexible. Thanks for your help

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,170 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 40th Wedding Anniversary Family Vacation Hotel Help Needed

Riff has given you some good points. Coming over one of the busiest weekends of the year I can see how you are running into problems. I hope you finds something that works for you!

Have you looked at Humprhey's Half Moon Inn?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 40th Wedding Anniversary Family Vacation Hotel Help Needed

that budget will only get you a budget motel/hotel in san diego at that time of year. i'd recommend looking at vrbo.com. you might try to find a condo around "university town centre". there are lots there with nice pools. maybe you could find a complex that has 2 or 3 room units available. also, look at capri by the sea on pacific beach. it will be much more then your budget but they have 2 or 3 bedroom condos with full kitchen. great location, with lots of restaurants around and places to walk so you wouldn't all be "tied" together. the pool is not right in the building, I think it's in the next complex. again, over your budget but look at humphrey's half moon...they have large units and nice pool areas...

Carlsbad is a nice city and you could easily spend a few days just hanging around that area. driving into san diego isn't too bad...just have to time out the rush hour traffic. lego land is close to there if that was one of your places you were considering.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,168 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 40th Wedding Anniversary Family Vacation Hotel Help Needed

Did you try Homewood Suites Liberty Station? Its supposed to be in a convenient area and may be within your price range.

Or the Best Western Island Palms? which is in the same area as Humphreys Half moon Inn?

I would suggest you might also want to consider getting a AAA card before your visit, its likely to pay for itself in this case since the discount is substantial for Best Westerns and Homewood suites.

Part of the issue is.. the room you need with a full kitchen is going to likely cost more than regular rooms, so that family will have to pay more for thier room vs the others.

You could also try something on Coronado Island which is a nice small beach town located about a 15 min drive across the bridge into downtown San Diego. The Glorietta Bay Inn usually has some rooms with full kitchens. Or the La Avenida Inn... would fit most of you within your price range, which is a standard very well rated Motel, however, the family needing the kitchen would have to go to the Glorietta Bay Inn which is in close walking distance. Both places are in close walking distance to the Ocean.

Edited: 11:22 am, August 13, 2013
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,018 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 40th Wedding Anniversary Family Vacation Hotel Help Needed

Some of the independent hotels like Humphreys Half moon(which has family suites with kitchen) and the Bay Club and BW Island Palms do not have availability on line yet for next July. You'd have to call to get prices.

Homewood Suites/Liberty Station is higher priced than the other Homewood Suites because of popularity.

I did not realize that La Avenida had a suite with kitchen(or the Glorietta Bay Inn ).

The locations would be great but the week of July 4th is the highest price week of the summer at the beach!!

You can use this web site or a site like www.vrbo.com to see vacation rentals

There is also Capri by the Sea which is a modern condo highrise facing the ocean that rents out like a hotel.

It has a small pool and would be lovely for your family but I imagine it might be out of your budget for that week.

I think I would call instead of trying to get prices on line because you are looking for multiple rooms.

Edited: 11:26 am, August 13, 2013
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 40th Wedding Anniversary Family Vacation Hotel Help Needed

Hi there!

We are a family with a daughter with severe food allergies so I completely understand the challenges that one must face when traveling to a new city with a child with such allergies. In all of our travels, both stateside and abroad, we have NEVER required a kitchen with a stove. Microwave and mini refrigerator yes, but a stove. Really? San Diego is extremely food allergy friendly and we are able to eat out with our daughter often here and she has very severe allergies to tree nuts, peanuts, milk, gluten and egg. I think if I were you, I would present the facts to the family with the child with the allergies (and the demand for the stove) and point out the extreme cost difference you all are going to have to face to accommodate this request and the sacrifices in location and accommodation quality.

Perhaps this is the first time they are traveling with the food allergic child and they are nervous? The San Diego Food Allergy Network is a great resource for them here. Rady Children's Hospital is top notch in the event something does happen, and the restaurants and markets here are very good about cross-contamination.

Anyways, the reason I sort of went off on this tangent is because I feel like you are really going to spin circles trying to find a place that meets this request, over the second busiest week of the entire year here in San Diego (2nd only to ComicCon) with a very low budget. You are going to have to sacrifice somewhere and I feel, as an allergy parent, the stove is definitely not necessary.

If they are still adamant, like the others have suggested, perhaps you can find a home to rent for the week and all stay in it together for a couple thousand dollars. Not ideal, but it might be the only real option. Best of luck and if you have any food allergy related questions, please feel free to ask them. :)

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 40th Wedding Anniversary Family Vacation Hotel Help Needed

Vrbo for a rental

9. Re: 40th Wedding Anniversary Family Vacation Hotel Help Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, August 16, 2014