We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary please.

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
192 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary please.

Hi. I have 4 days in San Diego with a rental car and am struggling with a schedule. Here's what I was thinking, and I'd love to know what you think and any suggestions/advice. I am unsure about restaurants at each - looking for affordable (low-mid scale) ideas. My husband and I are in our 20s and want to see/do a lot but we really want to be able to expereince each thing fully.

Saturday: Coronado Island (where do you park/which side of island is best?) for the day and then Gaslamp district for evening. Maybe Bella Luna for dinner.

Sunday: Point Loma and ?

Monday: Zoo / Balboa Park

Tuesday: La Jolla and Torrey Pines State Park

Thanks for your help!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary please.

Coronado - I like to park on the Hotel Del side, there is free parking along the streets by the beach if you get there early enough. It's such a fun area to walk around, go to the beach, walk down Orange Avenue. I love Coronado Brewing Company - good beers if you like that, great burgers and salads, and if you get a window seat, you can watch the people walk by. If you want to go to Little Italy for dinner, I recommend Buon Appetito. I'm not familiar with Bella Luna in the Gaslamp, but there are so many restaurants there, its hard to choose, my favorites are Croce's and Blue Point Coastal Cuisine.

If you're going to Pt. Loma, I'm sure you're planning on Cabrillo Monument - try Pt. Loma Seafood for lunch, very fresh, reasonable, and it's fun to sit outside. Don't forget to walk around the harbor downtown one of the days you're near there.

For Zoo/Balboa Park, there are a couple great places for breakfast/brunch beforehand - Cafe on Park or ParkHouse Eatery, both on Park, both fun, interesting and reasonable. I definitely recommend the Prado in Balboa Park for dinner, beautiful setting, fun restaurant, grea food.

La Jolla/Torrey Pines - I recommend Harry's Coffee shop for breakfast, great old fashioned food and reasonable, a local favorite. There's also Karl Strauss Brewery also in the village for great burgers and salads (also beer if you like that), and many recommend George's at the Cove, but I much prefer Crab Catcher for the food and the views. I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions, these are mine. Have a great trip!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,829 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary please.

Parking on Coronado depends on what you are planning to do there and when you are going. I fyou want to visit the historic Hotel Del Coronado and the beach then you would park on the streets nearby. If you wan t o go to the Ferry Landing outdoor mall and shop,eat,rent bikes for a ride then you would park at the ferry landing. I don't know where you rhotel is but it is fun to take the ferry from downtown pier acrooss the bay to Coronado an dthen rent bikes from the ferry landing. At the ferry landing outdoors there is a nice relaxed(one step up from fast food but home cooked) Greek restaurant. At the Hotel Del they have an outdoor terrace where you can have a drink and buy lunch as well. I fthis is on July 4th then get there early as they have a nice parade fireworks etc.

When you say Point Loma I am thinking you mean Cabrillo Nat'l Monument. I fthat is the case after walking around the historic area and the lighthouse you can go down below the cliffs to the tide pools. Check the time for low tide for the day you are coming. You could combine that with a Harbor Cruise . You could eat nearby at Point Loma Seafood onScott St. It is an outdoor seafood market that also sells sandwiches and platters,pretty and inexpensive. I don't think that it would take an entire day.

YOu might wan tto go to Balboa Park on Sunday after Point Loma because there are activities going on and then do just the zoo on Monday because many of the museums are closed on Mondays. The zoo could take a whole day and if you are here in summer it is open until 9PM.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary please.

Katze- What month or season will you be here?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
192 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary please.

We'll be there this week. Our hotel is near the zoo.

Great idea about doing Balboa Park on Tuesday - I didn't realize a lot was closed on Mondays.

5. Re: Help with itinerary please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, August 13, 2009