We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Dubai

Dubai,UAE
Level Contributor
17 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Dubai

I will be visiting San Diego in mid September from Dubai.

Which are the best flights with least number of stops ?

I was thinking of taking emirates flight to Los Angeles and hire a cab to go to San Diego . Is it a good idea ?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Dubai

While San Diego is an "International" airport, its flights come from Mexico, Canada and one flight from Great Britain.

So your main options, fly to London, and then the non-stop to San Diego.

Fly to a main US City other than Los Angeles, and then take a non-stop flight from that city to San Diego.

Fly to LAX and then take a commuter flight to San Diego.

Fly to LAX, catch a LAX FlyAway Bus to the Union Station Train Depot in Downtown LA and take the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner Train to San Diego.

I would not take a taxi from LAX to San Diego, it is over 100 miles depending on exactly you need to go to in the San Diego Area, and would be very expensive.

Dubai,UAE
Level Contributor
17 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Dubai

Thanks for the help. I have to go to University if california san diego ( ucsd ) . Will a flight from LAX be more cost effective than a cab ?

Do you know how far UCSD is from San Diego airport ?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,668 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Dubai

UCSD is about a 20min. drive from the airport.in San Diego.

IF you have already booked your flight to LAX then booking a separate commuter flight to SAN will be EXPENSIVE . IF you have not booked your ticket yet then just book one with a stop somewhere and an onward flight into SAN.

A shuttle from LAX to UCSD will be several hundred dollars as it is a 2 hr. journey.

There is also a train you can take from downtown LA to downtown San Diego which takes 3 hrs.

From downtown San Diego you would then take a taxi which would cost maybe $60 or so not sure.

Edited: 9:58 am, July 11, 2013
Dubai,UAE
Level Contributor
17 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Dubai

Thanks . I have not yet booked my tickets but was concerned about travelling with luggage from LA to San Diego by bus / train but it sure makes better sense to reach S D airport and then take a cab to UCSD .

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,668 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Dubai

I think you now have a much better plan!

I live very close to UCSD and we have many students and professors and researchers who live in our area.

I hope you enjoy your time here.

IF you have any questions about the area please start a new thread to ask them.

6. Re: Travel from Dubai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 13, 2014