We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks and a little report on our short trip/Amtrak/no car

Casey
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks and a little report on our short trip/Amtrak/no car

I wanted to thank everybody that helped with my questions before our trip and give a little report on our trip (me, husband, daughters 14 and 11), in case it helps someone else.

We came from Anaheim and did not want to rent a car on our trip. Our time in San Diego was short so our only objectives were the beach and Sea World. On Wednesday June 5, we took a taxi from Park Vue Inn in Anaheim to the Anaheim station which was $12. We got there about 11:45- I was planning on being early for the 1:08 train since we wanted to check luggage. The lady said, "Why don't you just take the 11:53 and carry your luggage?" The kids were all for not hanging around the station for an hour, so we agreed. Just then a man came in the office and she said he would be able to check our luggage quick, so we agreed to that too!

Just a few minutes later we were on the train. It was not full. We went straight upstairs in the middle of the train and got a set of seats facing each other on the ocean side. There would have been room on the wire racks at the ends of the cars for our luggage if needed. It was a very nice ride and nice views. We needed lunch so we went to the food car which was next to ours and got sandwiches, chips and pizza. When we arrived at San Diego there wasn't a rush to get off since that's the end of the line.

We got our luggage and called The Dana. They told me they would be on Kettner Blvd in 20 minutes, so after 15 minutes we went out the depot door that said Kettner Blvd and our van was there to take us to The Dana. I got a bay view room there with a stay 2 nights get the 3rd night free deal. I loved our room. It was on the first floor and the walkway went straight to it. Loved the slate tile in the bathroom. My family was duly impressed with the nice place I scored ;). The pool on the new side was great and the grounds were lovely.

We ate at the Blue Pearl 3 times. The first night it just felt a little off, can't really explain, and DH wanted to go somewhere else but we didn't have a car...but the other two times it was just fine. The breakfast and the ribs were good.

Our first full day we walked over the bridge to Mission Beach. It's about a mile away but it was an easy walk. We had breakfast at Subway. We waded in our clothes since it was 60s and cloudy and finally once the kids were already pretty wet they decided to change into their suits and really go for it. We had planned to rent bikes at the beach after they were done, but their clothes were so wet we ended up walking back to the hotel to change. So we rented bikes at the marina at the hotel instead. The girls got a tandem and we had singles...husband in front to lead and me in the rear so I knew we were together.

We rode over the bridge and turned on a path before the beach and rode by the bay along all the cute beach cottages. Then to the beach and boardwalk. We ate at Luigi's (not that great). Went down to the south end and walked out on the rocky pier and saw a seal! Picked up supper at Subway and took it back to our room. Loved this day!

The next day we took the Dana shuttle to Sea World. It had two departure times in the morning and three departure times in the afternoon/evening. Sea World was nice, but the kids don't care if they ever go again.

Next morning already time to leave so we went to the lobby and had them call us a taxi to the airport. It was there in about 3 minutes. We really enjoyed our short time in San Diego and loved the Dana. It was a nice relaxing half of our vacation after running around Disneyland. I know we didn't see much of SD this time, but there's only so much vacation time!

Mentioned in this post
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
SeaWorld San Diego
SeaWorld San Diego
9,198 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Park Vue Inn
Park Vue Inn
2,250 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
The Anaheim Hotel
The Anaheim Hotel
163 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
The Pearl Hotel
The Pearl Hotel
1,029 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Special Offer
SeaWorld® San Diego
73 Reviews
from $54.99*
$94.99
Go San Diego Card
74 Reviews
from $89.00*
Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,371 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks and a little report on our short trip/Amtrak/no car

Thanks for the TR.

Did the Dana charge for the Shuttle? Their website says it is $10 per person. With 4 people, a cab would have been cheaper. Just curious.

Other than that, I am glad to hear you enjoyed the Dana. I think it is a great little property although not one I'd recommend to most people without a car. Glad it worked well for you.

Level Contributor
38,496 posts
1,008 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks and a little report on our short trip/Amtrak/no car

Sounds like a really fun time! :)

Casey
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks and a little report on our short trip/Amtrak/no car

I think the airport/depot shuttle for the Dana is $10/pp for 1-2 people but they cap it at $20 so our family of 4 was $20.

Yes, if we were going more places, we would have wanted a car, but for our purposes it was great. We like it when we can get along with a rental. I looked at downtown hotels that had more free shuttles, but downtown is not our style. We loved the resort feel of the Dana.

United States
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanks and a little report on our short trip/Amtrak/no car

Thanks for the TR!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
142 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanks and a little report on our short trip/Amtrak/no car

It sounds like great family time. I think vacations without a car are better for family time.

Casey
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanks and a little report on our short trip/Amtrak/no car

My husband drives for a living, and I am not a fan of driving in cities, so to him a vacation is when he doesn't have to drive or navigate an unfamiliar city. Which is why we've been to Disney World 5 times!

7. Re: Thanks and a little report on our short trip/Amtrak/no car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 07, 2014