We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Weather

Is SD affected by the heat wave out west...I ask because the weather there seems always perfect!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,534 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather

It's been very warm these past few days... nothing like the 123 in Ocotillo, but still very warm and humid. Today seems a little cooler though due to a partial cloud cover.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather

Yes, I am currently in La Jolla, and while the coastal areas are still fairly nice, though hotter than normal, going inland, it is hot, not as bad as Las Vegas or Death Valley for sure.

But I would prefer an indoor location with AC if away from the coast, and even at the coast, after being in the sun for a bit, some AC is a nice relief.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,161 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather

WE also live in La Jolla near the coast and very few people here have any aircon. We don't and just use a fan in our one south facing upstairs bedroom on occasion.

It has been comfortable today because of a breeze and some cloud cover.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather

I live Downtown in a condo and we have an A/C (which isn't used very often but it has been a life saver a few times.) The livingroom is floor to ceiling windows and gets full afternoon sun.

Yesterday I came to Pt Loma to stay and my sister's house and take care of her 2 dogs. Yesterday was very hot and several fans throughout the house with no A/C. Earlier today was a bit cool and didn't need fans but do now. I was here at the same time last year when we had a real 'heat wave' and it was NOT comfortable. Eventhe dogs didn't want to go to the park. I'm crossing my fingers that doesn't happen again this year.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25,967 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather

Just depends on where in SD you are, near the coast has been great, inland hot. Fortunately I had no reason to be any further away from the water than downtown, where maybe it hit 80? So not bad at all.

San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
651 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather

Remember one thing. We San Diegans are notorious weather wimps. What would be hot to us would make most people laugh. Same thing for "cold". I am born and raised in San Diego and this is the typical San Diegan weather complaint. "Its hot! (when its 85 or higher) or "its cold" (when it falls below 60). Yes, along the coast it has been warm....high 70's to mid 80's Once you get inland....say about 10 miles from the coast.....probably high 80s to mid 90s. Once you get further away from the city...into the mountains and desert area.....say about 20 to 40 miles inland.....that's where you'll see the 100 plus weather.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather

No A/C in my house either. The ocean breezes make it really pleasant. Today it has been overcast, but it is still lovely 73 degrees F. Goldilocks weather.

And vegasjohn hit it on the head. We are weather wimps.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather

Well, perhaps some are weather wimps but I don't think I'm one. And, yes, I agree it depends on where you are and your living circumstance.

I grew up in the Inland Empire (Rialto) and my High School did not have A/C. Trying to study or comprehend what a teacher was telling you in 105 degree heat - was not easy in High School. Dripping in sweat and having runny makeup was not uncommon. I don't think we had a house with A/C until I was 10. Even then my Dad was not having it unless one of us was about to faint. A joke but not really.

My condo in San Diego has floor to ceiling windows with Full Sunlight in the afternoons in the living room. (No ocean breeze to speak of.) I'm no wimp when it's hot out but the room has no cross ventilation. The hot air generated by direct sunlight just sits there with no place to go. My 80 + Mom doesn't deserve that and it's cooler in her room w/o direct sunlight which means she spends too much time in her bedroom. It's actually cooler outside than inside our living room. So, yes, the A/C is welcomed but our bldg has had problems and it hasn't always worked properly. Our first summer here it didn't work at all and we needed 6 fans just to get to below 80 because of the different bedrooms and living space. Living in a hot box is not being a wimp. It can be cooler outside but with a + 80 yr old it's not easy to just go somewhere cooler.

And FYI my Mom was born and raised in So Cal (Riverside). She's no wimp either. No A/C. But she didn't live in a modern floor to ceiling window condo on the 7th floor.

In Pt Loma now and the fans have been on and the humidity has been unwelcomed but nothing unlivable. (My hair will disagree.)

In the end - I should hope that these issues would not affect a visitor staying in a hotel w/o A/C with a beach location with a breeze. But it could. I'm not willing to say one way or another especially since the weather has been unusual in the last couple or three years. If not staying at a beach location I would recommend a hotel with a/c - which I'm sure most have.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather

OK, let me describe my weekend and different temperatures. Had a Friday event I need to take car of on Friday, so stayed in Tustin (Orange County area near Disneyland). Somewhat inland but still gets some benefit of the Pacific Ocean "radiator" benefit. Spent part of the day outside, and welcomed the shade and A/C, though it really wasn't that bad. (As compared to further inland).

On Saturday, needed to get to La Jolla to check on my Mom (alas, my father passed away a few weeks ago). Due to the horrible traffic on the I-5 from South Orange County ot La Jolla (pretty much a parking lot all the way based on SigAlert.org), my GPS rerouted us to I-15 and the inland area. Stoped in Temecula for a lunch break, and it was hot, but still, I would say the high 90's.

My Mom lives on the top of Mt. Soledad, so it has a different weather pattern, especially with cloud cover. So nice if you stayed inside, had the windows open and was using fans. Went to have dinner with old friends in Poway that evening, and it was still quite warm in the evening.

Sunday, Mt. Soledad wasn't bad, but we headed to SeaWorld for a few hours in the afternoon (on the edge of Mission Bay near the Pacific Ocean), and we were glad for shade.

So was it "awful", near the Pacific Ocean, wasn't bad, still warmer than normal. But once you headed inland, it got much warmer. But as I said, nothing like Las Vegas.

New York
Level Contributor
950 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather

Haha we know about the weather wimp thing and use that term...you really don't know how lucky you are...you don't have weather extremes...and that's why we vacation there!

Dark beer condolances on your dad