We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches...La Jolla, Mission and Ocean

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Topic
Beaches...La Jolla, Mission and Ocean

Hubby and I are coming in late September for a long weekend. We are thinking of hitting a different beach each day...la jolla, mission and ocean beach...what is the parking situation at each of these beaches? Do you have to pay?

Also, is there anything to eat at these beaches, like street food?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,689 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches...La Jolla, Mission and Ocean

There is free street parking at every beach. There are also some free parking lots at Mission Beach.

There are no vendors of any kind on the sand itself. You cannot buy food or rent chairs/umbrellas on the sand but there are lots of little restaurants on the side streets depending on where exactly you end up.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches...La Jolla, Mission and Ocean

HI clampers,

Welcome to San Diego.

Here's a website that gives the details for the beaches in the San Diego area:

http://www.a-zsandiegobeaches.com/index.htm

While Riff M is technically correct about no food being sold on the beaches, Pacific Beach and Mission Beach are connected by a long boardwalk, and there are many shops, restaurants, and bars along the boardwalk.

The *only* commercial establishment on Coronado's beach is the Hotel del Coronado. If you want to get something to eat there, you'd have to walk several blocks inland to Orange Ave. to find restaurants and shops.

Finally, with any of the beaches, the earlier you arrive, the more likely you are to find a good / closer parking space.

Enjoy your visit.

Zed

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches...La Jolla, Mission and Ocean

Cool! Thanks very much.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,689 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches...La Jolla, Mission and Ocean

"Technically" there is no "boardwalk" here either. What we have is a cement sidewalk alongside the sand where there are small shops/restaurants and bars. This goes from Pacific Beach to the end of Mission Beach,

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,914 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches...La Jolla, Mission and Ocean

If you only are going to hit three I wonder why OB?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches...La Jolla, Mission and Ocean

Is OB bad? It sounded like it has a "hippie" vibe, which we like...I would love to know why you ask.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches...La Jolla, Mission and Ocean

Hi clampers,

You may want to read this post about OB:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k660775…

Zed

Canada
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches...La Jolla, Mission and Ocean

I went to La Jolla today. My thoughts are in the 3rd reply of my post here tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k6602994…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
24,914 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches...La Jolla, Mission and Ocean

Sounds like you know what OB is, so enjoy.

No where near Venice Beach but its kind of our version of it.

If you have time I'd suggest Coronado, I know it sometimes sounds like I'm paid to promote it, which I'm not, but as a SoCal native who has been to basically ever beach on the SoCal coast it is one of my favorites.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
404 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches...La Jolla, Mission and Ocean

Thanks for all the info. That is some super valuable info about all these beaches! We will be diving two mornings at la jolla. Probably will just stay there the rest of the day one day but then check out a different beach the other day we dive. I will keep Coronado on my list...went there several years ago and it is gorgeous.