We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Days in SD, CA

lancaster
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Two Days in SD, CA

I'm heading to San Diego next week with the family. I have a teenager and a 9 year old. What is going on that weekend?

We like the following:

The beach

My son plays the drums

My wife likes to shop (where is the largest mall in SD)

Sightsee and eat good seafood

San Diego...
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Days in SD, CA

Right now the San Diego County Fair is going on. The whole family will enjoy that games, rides, exhibits, crazy fried food. There is always the typical attractions like Seaworld, San Diego Zoo, Legoland, and Balboa Park which are all great. The malls would really depend on your wife's taste and shopping style. The following site has a good breakdown, sandiego-events.com/san-diego-shopping-guide/ There is good food all over San Diego. Little Italy has some great Italian places, I also like both Las Hadas and La Puerta in the Gaslamp Downtown for Mexican food.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Days in SD, CA

Hi cjohnson!

Where are you staying and will you have a car? A lot depends on that.

The 3 major malls close to San Diego (but the City of San Diego is very large and includes LaJolla and more) are Fashion Valley Mall, Mission Valley Mall and Las Americas Premium Outlet.

lancaster
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Days in SD, CA

Carlsbad and yes we will have car. Thanks for you help!

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
157 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two Days in SD, CA

Where you are staying makes all the difference. San Diego is huge.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
157 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two Days in SD, CA

Where you are staying makes all the difference. San Diego is huge.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two Days in SD, CA

Hmm - Well, Carlsbad isn't in San Diego so plan on spending a fair amount of time in the car if you want to do anything in San Diego like the Zoo or visit our Downtown. It's an approx 40 minute, 1 way drive. And the SD County Fair is on in Del Mar so you're going to have to pass it and depending on the time of day traffic can get really backed up.

Carlsbad itself is nice and if your son is under about 10 (or Lego crazy if he's older ) Legoland is right there. There's a nice beach there and a nice Village. Since you are staying in Carlsbad there's an Outlet Mall right there as well.

premiumoutlets.com/outlets/directions.asp…

If you haven't already you might have a look at these websites to see what is going on that might be of interest to you. If you're going to be here on a Saturday morning you might want to check out the Mercado (Farmers Mkt) in Little Italy. But, being that you're staying in Carlsbad you might not want to make the drive unless you are coming into San Diego on that day.

http://www.sandiego.com/?site=visitor

www.carlsbadca.gov/about/Pages/default.aspx

And since you're going to be that far North you might look to see what's going on in Oceanside and even San Clemente in Orange County. Both are closer than San Diego.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two Days in SD, CA

I meant to add that the Fair is something you might want took at and see if it's something you might want to do.

http://www.sdfair.com/

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two Days in SD, CA

Knowing what we know about your son, i would suggest taking your son to the Museum of Making Music in Carlsbad! It is really cool. Your wife can shop at the Carlsbad Premium Outlets. They are literally a few blocks away from each other.

9. Re: Two Days in SD, CA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 25, 2014