We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fathers like Sunday brunch too!

San Diego
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Fathers like Sunday brunch too!

Over the years I experienced enormous crowds at Mother’s Day brunches. This year was no exception. Restaurants go out of their way to promote the biggest brunch of the year. In fact, many restaurants will only offer two Sunday brunches a year. The first of course is Mother’s Day. Is Father’s Day the second? Not by a long shot; Easter is the other one. I will be the first one to agree that all Mothers deserve special treatment; and rightfully so.

However, as a Father I feel that Dads (in general) could use a little more special treatment on Father’s Day. I’ve seen the big difference. You usually do not need to make reservations and the crowds…well, are nonexistent. I know there are at least 117 Sunday brunches in San Diego County...find one for Dad.

Make this year different…don’t give Dad socks, ties, or tools; take him to brunch!

http://www.sandiegosundaybrunchmaster.com/

Happy brunching with Dad, Jim

Special Offer
Skip the Line: USS Midway Museum
379 reviews
from $18.00*
$23.00
San Diego Zoo
160 reviews
from $54.00*
San Diego Harbor Dinner Cruise
98 reviews
from $89.82*
San Diego
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fathers like Sunday brunch too!

Thanks for the reminder, Jim. Isn't it funny that we mothers get so many lovely brunches offered, but the dads get...ties? coffee mugs? So what would be your pick to take Dad and the kids to? I know some are more child friendly than others...which would you ask your family to take you to? Just picking your brain...we won't be celebrating until the week after, since Dad is away, but I'll wish you a happy Father's Day now!

San Diego
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fathers like Sunday brunch too!

Hi Jen,

Some of my favorite brunches include Karl Strauss, Hanalei, and Bellefleur. Because they are simple, offer lots of choices, and not real pricy. Loews and Humphrey’s are also great, but more pricy. It also depends on the cuisine your Dad enjoys and the amount of time you have available. If you are limited on time, then chose a “Menu” venue. Otherwise, chose the “Buffet” venue and eat, sip champagne, and chat for hours!

Either way, I’m glad that you are taking Dad to brunch…I’m sure he deserves the special treatment.

Happy Brunching, Jim

California
Level Contributor
1,435 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fathers like Sunday brunch too!

We will spend Father's Day doing exactly what we did on Mother's Day... I'll be at a swim meet with my older daughter while my husband entertains the younger one. Kid activies take priority over both parents!

San Diego
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fathers like Sunday brunch too!

Isn't that the truth, Vicki?? Mine are still too small to have to worry about events yet, but I know that day will come.

Jim, I like the idea of Karl Strauss. My hubby loves that beer, so a trip to the restaurant should be great. And my dad lives in Carlsbad, so it's close. Is it a good place to take kids? Mine don't run around crazy, but they do benefit from a kid-friendly environment. I'm going to look up their website right now. I'll let you know how our brunch goes!

San Diego
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fathers like Sunday brunch too!

Hi Jen,

The Karl Strauss in Carlsbad does not serve a Sunday brunch, only the one in Sorrento Valley. If you are in Carlsbad, then go to the Bellefleur restaurant. One of the biggest layouts in San Diego County! Lots of stations and lots of good food for less than 20 bucks! It seemed like a kid-friendly place…but, I did not notice any clowns, except for the guy in the next both. I’m sure your Dad will really enjoy this place.

Happy brunching, Jim

San Diego
Level Contributor
204 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fathers like Sunday brunch too!

Thanks for the info. I visited your website and saw about Karl Strauss, and also liked what I saw about Bellefleur. We just might have to go there! My kids are fine anywhere, as long as the place isn't snooty about kids being there - some places just aren't appropriate for kids, despite what some parents feel. I'll talk to my Mom about surprising Dad...and I'll let you know how it goes. My Dad is one of those guys who enjoys a good buffet and gets his money's worth, so this should be fun!

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fathers like Sunday brunch too!

Hey Brunchmaster... Thanks again for all your recommendations. You helped each and every one of us gain at least 5 lbs. (including the kids) on our trip! :) It was awesome. Brunch Rocks!

I know it's a little out of your neck of the woods, but I thought I'd put in a little plug for a place we found up in Irvine. It's some of the best Chinese food I've ever had in my life (I posted about it on the Irvine forum) and although we didn't eat Sunday brunch there, I swear I saw a sign that they have one. It's called China West and is @ 17585 Harvard Ave. in Irvine. Their aromatic beef entree alone is worth the drive!

KUDOS...NRH

San Diego
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Fathers like Sunday brunch too!

Hey Jim, you created an ENTIRE website just on brunches? Man, I've never seen anything like that! Great info. I'll keep a link to it for future reference.

San Diego
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fathers like Sunday brunch too!

Jen, Bellefleur is a huge place and has outdoor seating as well…your kids will be fine. Let them run crazy at the outlet mall before you eat, then they will be tuckered out by brunch time.

nrh, only 5 pounds each? You need to return, there are plenty more brunches and plenty more pounds to gain! I will check on China West. I have enough trouble keeping up with San Diego County alone.

SocialInsider, yep, it’s been a passion of mine for years and I keep it as a hobby. There’s no advertising on the site whatsoever and very few opinions.

Happy brunching to all and have a great Father’s Day!, Jim

St. Croix
Level Contributor
125 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fathers like Sunday brunch too!

Cool site. A little overwhelming - I haven't gone through it all yet.

would it/does it include Dim Sum? if not - any recommendations? Closer to Pt. Loma/OB would be great.