We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth visiting San Diego?

Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth visiting San Diego?

i want to visit San Diego in around october and i am wondering if it's worth it? I really like food , shopping malls and theme parks. Just the only thing is , i have to first fly to Miami on a 2 hour 30 minute flight and then i have a 7 hour layover! then i get on a flight to San Diego which is about 5 hours. also: any good hotels? not too expensive.

thanks , respond soon

San Diego...
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth visiting San Diego?

I am a local and If you ask me San Diego is always worth visiting. Your flight details are a tad bit rough but if San Diego is really a place you want to visit go for it. As far as things you are interested in, San Diego has plenty of shopping, great restaurants, and the Zoo, Seaworld as well as other attractions/ theme parks you may be interested in. There are many great hotels for reasonable prices. It really just depends on which area you are staying in. If it were downtown I personally like the Hilton Bayfront. It has fantastic views of the San Diego Bay and recently expanded and remodeled its pool area. It has a Starbucks and Frozen yogurt place attached to it. When I've stayed there it averaged anywhere from 99 to 149 a night.

Hope that helps a little,

Nate

www.sandiego-events.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth visiting San Diego?

It is not worth it.

Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth visiting San Diego?

Thanks Nate,

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth visiting San Diego?

AyeKian -

Those of us locals who live in San Diego and answer questions on this forum do so because we love the city and want to share our knowledge and perspective with visitors so that they can enjoy their vacation here.

As for whether there are "any good hotels" ... the short answer is yes. TA lists 271 hotels in San Diego and close to half of them are rated 4 or 5 (out of 5) stars.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth visiting San Diego?

I think what you really want to know is if the flights you have chosen are worth it, worth saving money or whatever is the reason for the current plan.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,168 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth visiting San Diego?

I love San Diego but you and I are very different!

I don't like theme parks and I don't travel for shopping.

IF theme parks and shopping are the only things you want to do then perhaps you should just go to Orlando,Florida which will be much easier for you!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth visiting San Diego?

Hi AyeKian - first, on Trip Advisor its always a good idea to put into your profile what area you live in, that way, when we look at your posts, we can quickly get an idea of where your travel will originate from.

In any case, a lot would depend on how much time you have to visit. I wouldn't want to spend 12 hours each way to get anywhere if I was just going to be able to spend a day or two there. But if you had, say, a week, it would be a lot more compelling.

San Diego is, IMHO, a great city, lots of attractions in it and nearby, plus the weather is great. But would those advantages outweigh visiting somewhere else that you may not have been before, perhaps somewhere else that is closer and is similarly attractive (Miami and other parts of Florida come to mind)? That we cannot really tell you. But as mentioned above, Orlando may be a better bet for you, as it has more theme parks and they're all closer together - theme parks in San Diego and in the southern California area in general are spread across a much, much larger area.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth visiting San Diego?

There really isn't enough information to guide you. You said the flight to Miami is 2 1/2 hours? I am trying to figure out where you are coming from that is that close to Miami that there wouldn't be easier connections to San Diego.

We also don't know if you've been to the Orlando area before and done theme parks there already and now you want something different?

San Diego is a great city for a lot of things, but I wouldn't say for theme parks. There are only two and one isn't that great for adults. The shopping is good, but no better than any other major city in the U.S. The dining scene is good and getting better. San Diego's best attribute is its weather. It is probably the best weather or any major city in the U.S., never too hot or too cold, low humidity, dry most of the year and October is probably the best month for that good weather.

My take on CA's bigger cities, if I wanted the best dining and best shopping (best really meaning the best, not cheapest) I'd go to San Francisco; if I wanted theme parks I'd go to the Los Angeles area, basing myself in Anaheim; if I wanted a vacation that pulled in a bit of each, then San Diego would be a good choice.

Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it worth visiting San Diego?

For everyone wondering , i am from St Maarten , in the carribean. I have been to Orlando before about 6 times.

Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it worth visiting San Diego?

I am actually trying to avoid Orlando since i have been there enough.