We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating to San Diego

Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Relocating to San Diego

My fiance and I are moving to San Diego in December, and are about to embark on a 'research' trip for 10 days to get a feel for the place first. We hear nothing but great things from people that have been there, but we'd love to get some local advice. How hard is it to rent an apartment if you've never lived in the States before? Where is the best place to live (we want something edgy & cool)? What are the best recruitment agencies to target? My fiance is a lawyer looking to move into media. We're both Australians with American passports, so we're hoping the city is kind to us! Any advice is appreciated.

san diego, ca
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating to San Diego

Cath,

My wife and I are also moving to San Diego from Tampa, Florida. We hope to move by the second week of December, 2004. We are flying out there on 11/17 and staying through 11/21 to scope the area.

If you happen to hear any good advice, please let me know...my email is integrity2005am@yahoo.com

If I hear of anything, I will let you know.

Kind Regards,

Alexaner

san diego
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating to San Diego

Hi Cath,I'm local.Where do you want to work?I really only know about No. SD Co.So, if you want to take the Coaster to downtown you can from here.Great beach location, food, casual, nice people, and good schools.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating to San Diego

I have been to Sydney, but I was born and raised here in San Diego. I can tell you that no other city in the world reminds me of San Diego except Sydney. Fairly laid back, comfortable weather, and lots of things to do. On the flip side, its the most expensive place to visit, jobs can be tough, and cost of living is astronomical. I cannot give you recommendations on where to live because I dont know what your comfortable with. I live in central san diego, in a little community called Hillcrest. It's very urban, cute, and there is lots of shopping and dining around. Their are nice beach areas like Pacific beach, La Jolla and del mar, but they are extremely expensive. Some of the inland areas, such as rancho bernardo, poway, mira mesa, and carmel mountain are nice and generally have more new housing. I would just look around at housing prices and find out what your most comfortable with.

San Diego,CA
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating to San Diego

Make sure when your here is to pickup "The Reader" newspaper. It comes out every Thursday and has lots of restaurant, entertainment and rental listings. Be sure to explore the following following areas that might be considered hip and edgey. Downtown around the Gaslamp area. Hillcrest (mostly gay but of course hip) , start around Fifth and University. Ocean Beach, start on Newport Ave (electic and a little bit gritty.)

San Diego
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Relocating to San Diego

San Diego is a truly nice place in which to live. If you get a feel for the freeways (it takes a little time) one can get around very easily (most things are 20 minutes or less away from anywhere). The weather is generally pleasant all year round (a bit of rain in the winter), but some visitors are surprised that it tends to be on the cool side of warm, i.e., it's chilly at night. Housing prices are very high. Newcomers should rent first (say for a year) and check out the various neighborhoods; each has its own character. The people are genuinely nice (not overwhelmingly friendly), i.e., they smile and are very helpful. Theater, movies, beaches, restaurants, colleges, pro sports (Padres and Chargers), zoo, Sea World, Wild Animal Park, Balboa Park, Coronado, LegoLand are all outstanding. Young people action is in the Gaslamp District, University City, Hillcrest, and coastal La Jolla, Pacific Beach, and Ocean Beach. More reserved people like places such as Kensington, Tierrasanta, Scripps Ranch, Rancho Bernardo, and Del Cerro. Big bucks like La Jolla, Coronado, Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar, Solana Beach, Alvarado, Mount Helix, Torrey Pines, and parts of Poway. At the lower end are places like El Cajon, Santee, City Heights, and large parts of the areas south of the city center, but all of these areas have a good deal of civic pride. Mission Beach is crowded and overrun with tourist time-shares. There are a few dangerous areas, but, by and large the city is pretty safe. Schools' quality pretty much is a function of neighborhood income, but there are a few surprises here and there. The three major universities are very popular: UCSD is a major UC campus with nobel prize winners galore, SDSU mainly serves the city's population and its graduates provide the infrastructure for the region, USD is an up-scale (fairly expensive) Catholic University with some outstanding programs.