We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mission valley area vs old town

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
mission valley area vs old town

I am thinking of staying either at Old Town Inn or Comfort suites mission valley. Any thoughts as to which one is better in terms of access to attractions, neighborhood i.e. safe/quiet and of course, the hotel's cleanliness is important. Please advice

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mission valley area vs old town

Will you have a car? If so, I'd probably go with the Comfort Suites. All of the lodgings in Mission Valley are fairly convenient to the major attractions if you are driving. However, Mission Valley itself is lacking in ambiance or atmosphere. It's merely functional. Ordinarily, I'd say that motels in Old Town are a better location than Mission Valley because it's both affordable and has more of a neighborhood feel and easy access for walking to restaurants/nightlife -- but I looked at the Old Town Inn's location on Google Maps and saw that it's actually on the other side of the freeway from the attractions in Old Town. Yes, I'm sure you can walk to Old Town, but it's not like you're in the heart of it by any means. The name of the motel is kind of misleading, in that respect.

Edited: 1:02 am, April 06, 2013
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mission valley area vs old town

Old Town Inn is at least in walking distance to the restaurants in Old Town. Also, from there you can hop on the Trolley to Little Italy or Downtown San Diego. The Old Town Inn generally gets good reviews.

I think there's only one restaurants within walking distance to the Comfort Inn MV.

If you have a car they are both equal in ease to get around to the local sites. So that is not an issue. I would look at reviews for both hotels on TA and yelp.com

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mission valley area vs old town

Will you have a car? If not, for sure the Old Town Inn.

As I said you can walk to restaurants and even if you don't want to at night a taxi to the heart of Old Town will probaby cost you $2 - $3. Beacuse you have to drive on the road and not a walking path.

W/o a car you can get around by the Trolley / Bus to other areas because the Old Town Transit Center is a major transportation hub to get around. And it's basically across the street.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24,162 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: mission valley area vs old town

If you give us a budget per night we may be able to direct you to some other hotels and other areas that you may like better

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mission valley area vs old town

The Old Town Inn is a good choice if you are looking for something with a kitchen in the room and close to public transit, highly rated at TA and a good price.

I am a fan of the Choice Hotel chain, currently they are my first choice, partly due to the very liberal Frequent Stay program they offer, and that my needs are usually a decent, basic, business type hotel, hopefully with a free breakfast (most locations) along with pricing, etc.

But the Mission Valley ones are a bit difficult to get to with public transit. It is doable, but a lot easier from the Old Town Inn.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mission valley area vs old town

thanks for the response everybody....we will definitely be having a car while in San Diego...so, it looks like from all the responses....it is a toss up between Old Town and Comfort suites...Old Town inn has a very good rating in Trip advisor (higher than Comfort suites MIssion Valley)...both offer breakfast...both seems to be convenient to attractions...so, now it is a matter of which one is a nicer/cleaner/quieter hotel...any thoughts?....price wise....they are about the same too...although, comfort only has 2 doubles but with a suite (i.e. has another room with a separate living room area with sofa bed) and Old town has 2 queen beds...My budget is about $100-$140 per night...the more economical the better :-).....

waiting for your advice!

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mission valley area vs old town

OK, there are two Comfort Inn/Suites in Mission Valley, the older property is on the South side of the Freeway, and the newer version is on the North side of the freeway.

I have stayed at both, the Efficiency Suite at the "South" location is good if you are looking for some kitchen facilities as part of the room. The Northern one has larger rooms.

Both locations have about the same free breakfast, which includes eggs and some sort of hot meat, along with waffles that you cook, and all the other standard items.

Here are some photos of both locations...

First the larger, older South location.

http://tinyurl.com/csxh94h

And the newer North location.

http://tinyurl.com/c8tllfd

If you sign up for the free Choice Hotels program, they offer Advance Purchase rates (drawback is no refunds), or you can use a CAA card if you have one.

You can compare costs at www.choicehotels.com

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mission valley area vs old town

hmmm..the ones that I was looking at is neither of the link that you had mentioned....the ones that I was looking at is Comfort Suite Mission Valley at 631 Camino Del Rio S...is that the older south or newer north or a totally different one? Which one is better? the newer north looks nicer...

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mission valley area vs old town

OK, while not in "Hotel Circle", it is just east of the other locations. Never stayed there, looks nice. (I think I will be checking it out on my next trip to San Diego. Looks new and a "standard" Comfort Suites, which means a basic blueprint and rooms.

But it depends on your budget, you have three great choices.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mission valley area vs old town

so, would you stay at Old Town Inn or the Comfort chains?