We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations near Catamaran Resort

Santa Monica, CA
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations near Catamaran Resort

Hi !

We will be staying at the Catamaran Resort in mid June. Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations for the area? The friend I'm meeting down there, is a real "foodie," so I don't want to happen upon any disappointing meals.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Linda

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations near Catamaran Resort

For a REAL foodie I think you might have to go out of the immediate neighborhood. Will you have a car or be willing to take a taxi?

Pbhomey if you are reading this don't get mad at me but I think the absolute best examples of SanDiego restaurants are away from PB.

With that said if you really need to stay close by then: Gringos(mexican);Jordan's(at Tower 23 hotel)Ichiban(sushi)

None of these are right at the hotel. Let me know if you are willing to go further away.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations near Catamaran Resort

Believe it or not Riffsmom, I agree with you for the most part. On the outskirt of PB is Sushi Ota on Mission Bay Drive, very well known for the best sushi in San Diego. Near the Cat, the Liars Club has some of the best bar food around. The other side of the Cat is Surfside, another real good Japanese hole in the wall.

Linda, head to the convoy area and eat at China Max Seafood, one of the best in town. Skip downtown for food, but Hillcrest has many good restaurants to choose from!

Santa Monica, CA
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations near Catamaran Resort

Riffsmom and PBHomey,

Thanks for the advice.

We will have a car, but didn't want to go too far.

Have either of you heard anything good or bad about the Sunday Brunch at the Catamaran Hotel's restaurant?

We're thinking about having lunch there before heading home on sunday.

Thanks again,

Linda

San Diego
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations near Catamaran Resort

Hi Linda,

The Cat brunch has the best sushi lay-out in San Diego County, the rest is good as well. Close by, Gringo's has a nice Mexican brunch, but only two glasses of champagne are included. World Famous has a good off-the-menu brunch. Go though the site, I'm sure you will find something you will like.

http://www.sandiegosundaybrunchmaster.com/

Happy brunching, Jim

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations near Catamaran Resort

II echo the resounding cry for Sushi Ota, and I also want to put my vote in for The Mission, an inexpensive breakfast place with truely amazing french toast. The breakfast is all day, too.

Wild, Wild West
Level Contributor
430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations near Catamaran Resort

Mexican (sit down) - Gringo's (3 Blocks north at the corner of Garnet

& Mission Blvd)

Mexican (simple) - Fred's at 1100 Garnet Ave

Steak / Seafood - Jordans at 700 Felspar (4-5 blocks north)

Saska's at 3700 Mision Blvd (6-7 blocks south)

World Famous at 700 Pacific Beach Dr (walk 1

block to the boardwalk)

Santa Monica, CA
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendations near Catamaran Resort

Thank you, everyone for the expert info.

I make the drive down to SD tomorrow after work (goran). Hoping to get there in time for a late dinner.

Linda

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant recommendations near Catamaran Resort

Greetings:

Agree with Sushi Ota (best sushi in all of SD); steak at Jordan's in the Tower 23 beachfront hotel (skirt steak with 2 large sides for $17 is a steal); Saska's (old school Italian)....for a great happy hour with very good and cheap food and very close to where you are staying is World Famous. For breakfast, The Mission is close by and within walking distance. Finally, another very good and reasonably priced option is Nick's at the Beach. Enjoy.

9. Re: Restaurant recommendations near Catamaran Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:54 pm, June 20, 2006
Mill Creek...
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant recommendations near Catamaran Resort

I keep reading in the Catamaran reviews that the Eggery Restaurant across the street is VERY good. As one man put it "almost worth the airfare." So, anyone else beg to differ or agree?