We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any deals available to play Torrey Pines?

Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Are there any deals available to play Torrey Pines?

Hi,

my husband and I are travelling with our daughter for two weeks to California. We arrive into San Diego late on the 21st. We stay on until the 25th.

My husband has would love to play Torrey Pines. The best deal he can get is $250. Yikes! He won't have any playing partners with him so four ball deals aren't an option. Any ideas on where to look for a better deal would really be appreciated.

Special Offer
Skip the Line: USS Midway Museum
379 reviews
from $18.00*
$23.00
San Diego Zoo
160 reviews
from $54.00*
San Diego Harbor Dinner Cruise
98 reviews
from $89.82*
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any deals available to play Torrey Pines?

Hi,

First off, I'm not a golfer, so I'm not familiar with all the requirements of a course or "four balls deals." However, Torrey Pines is a municipal course run by the City of San Diego, and here are the fees on their website:

sandiego.gov/park-and-recreation/…fees.shtml

You can see that the highest non-resident fee on the page is still lower than the $250 you mentioned.

Hope that helps.

Zed

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any deals available to play Torrey Pines?

I once witnessed a group of 20 somethings pull into the parking area at the south end of Torrey Pines Reserve at dusk (north end of the golf course). They proceeded to unload golf bags, and scale the 10 foot fence into the golf course. One of them glanced at me and said "this is a very special night for us".

Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there any deals available to play Torrey Pines?

Hi guys,

thanks Zed. Unfortunately he pretty much has his heart set on Torrey Pines. He has list of "must plays" in his head and Torrey Pines is one of them.

Bayatuning...... great story. He's got a few old sports injuries so I'm thinking that option might not be for him:)

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there any deals available to play Torrey Pines?

Hi MaryTeresa,

I think there's some confusion... The link I provided in #1 is to *THE* Torrey Pines golf course... The one where the tournaments are held, overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

Perhaps it's the fact that a championship golf course can be a municiple golf course that's run by the city that's throwing you off? It's not a private club / course.

Don't forget the other championship course in San Diego, La Costa:

http://www.lacosta.com/golf/

Zed

Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there any deals available to play Torrey Pines?

Hey Zed,

yes indeed I misunderstood. I assumed that Torrey Pines wasn't a municipal course. It's different here in Ireland. Thanks a million.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
26,434 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there any deals available to play Torrey Pines?

$250 is actually a very good price to play a course the caliber and prestige of Torrey Pines. Of course its quite a bit more than those of us pay to play being residents of the city of San Diego (its a city course) I dont know of any discounts and would be very surprised if there are any discounts. I dont think lack of players is an issue.

Edited: 8:35 am, March 08, 2013
Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there any deals available to play Torrey Pines?

GoodBeer,

FYI, $250 is $21 higher than the highest non-resident greens fee posted on the course's website above. I'm wondering if the OP was getting quotes from a third party vendor that charges a surcharge...

Non-resident fees on the North course on Mon. - Thu. range from $60 to $100 and $75 - $125 on Fri. - Sun.

Non-resident fees on the South course on Mon. - Thu. range from $110 to $183 and $137 to $229 on Fri. - Sun.

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
1,809 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there any deals available to play Torrey Pines?

I worked at the Lodge Torrey Pines a few years ago, so I do not know what the current status is, but many, many guests stayed at the hotel because of the guarantee tee time at Torrey Pines Golf Course. I do not think it is as easy as walking up, paying the non-resident fee and proceeding on to the course to golf. That would make sense why the fees were upwards of $250 for a single player from a 3rd party to play there. Its not the price that is the problem...it is GETTING a spot on the green that is the problem.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there any deals available to play Torrey Pines?

Why not play the North Course instead of the South. It is challenging enough. The pros do play it one round of 4 during the annual PGA tournament.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,947 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there any deals available to play Torrey Pines?

I agree that the problem is getting a tee time!

You cannot just walk up and pay your fee whenever you like and then go on the course and play! Staying at a nearby hotel that offers guests help getting a tee time would probably be a good idea.

The Torrey Pines Hilton has some lower price rooms available and also offers help getting onto the course for guests:

http://www.hiltonlajollatorreypines.com/