We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from SD trail ride & wine tasting advice please

vancouver
Level Contributor
43 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from SD trail ride & wine tasting advice please

We are couple in our 40's with two teen girls who would like to take a trail ride while we adults visit a winery. What area is best to start? Is Tecumseh a good place? Or is there a closer area? We are from Vancouver. I was a bit taken aback to notice a tasting fee at wineries. If we buy, do you get that $ back? I just need a direction or a few recommendations and I can start my search. Any advice is appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from SD trail ride & wine tasting advice please

If you want a place that has horseback riding for your girls as well as wineries for the adults, you may want to consider Julian rather than Temecula because the horseback riding might be better there. Both Temecula and Julian are about the same distance from San Diego, just different directions.

Temecula is better known for the wineries, and yes, almost all of our wineries now have tasting fees (not sure about rebates - I've never gotten one). If you do go to Temecula, you may want to stop in Old Town Temecula with the girls -- a street filled with shops, boutiques, restaurants, and quite a few "tasting rooms."

Temecula links:

www.temeculawines.org/wineries-vineyards/

www.cityoftemecula.org/temecula/Visitors/

Julian is a small mountain town with a an Old West history. It has a quaint downtown area with shops and restaurants. Very famous for its apple pie -- from either Julian Pie Co. or Mom's (can't go wrong with either).

Here's a link for Julian that will show you the horseback riding businesses and wineries:

http://www.julianca.com/attractions/index.htm

Mentioned in this post
Julian
Julian
California
Temecula
Temecula
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Old Town Temecula
Old Town Temecula
1,608 Reviews
Temecula, CA
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,635 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from SD trail ride & wine tasting advice please

It is very normal to have tasting fees at wineries in California. They range in price so you can pick ones that fit your budget best. There are also discount coupons available for some of them.

Temecula will be a good place to do both riding and tasting.

Depending on where you are staying it should only take about 1hr. to get there by car.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Temecula
Temecula
California
3. Re: Day trip from SD trail ride & wine tasting advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:23 am, May 23, 2013
Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
1,900 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from SD trail ride & wine tasting advice please

I am from Temecula and if you want a wine experience, then I would say Temecula is your best bet. I have not heard of getting your money back of you buy wine. Perhaps if you join the wine club, but not just for buying a bottle or two. There are a few companies that offer trail rides through the vineyards. Also, Temecula is known for its sunrise hot air balloon rides over the vineyards (in addition to its amazing wineries). Our favorite restaurant in Old Town Temecula is Rosa's Cantina (not the Tortilla Factory). We usually go across the street and do an olive oil tasting (free) at the Temecula Olive Oil COmpany too and buy lots of oils and oil based soaps and lotions :)

(By the way, OP, you live in my favorite city in the world. I would give anything to go back to Terra Breads on Granville Island!)

Mentioned in this post
Temecula
Temecula
California
Old Town Temecula
Old Town Temecula
1,608 Reviews
Temecula, CA
vancouver
Level Contributor
43 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from SD trail ride & wine tasting advice please

Terra Breads is GREAT! I love the long olive covered braided breads. And the cheeses on Granville Island are fantastic, especially the ash covered ones! Anyways, thankss for all this advice, we've decided to go with saddleup wine tours for the girls while we visit a few,or one or two, depending on how it works out, wineries with the temeculawines.org coupons after visiting the root beer and olive oil tasting in Temecula (& lunch). Will post a trip report!

Mentioned in this post
Temecula
Temecula
California
vancouver
Level Contributor
43 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from SD trail ride & wine tasting advice please

Heres what decided in the end to do.

Wednesday found us in Temecula at 10 am, wandering Front street. Not much to say about that, it wasn't very exciting. The root beer and olive oil stores were unique. The old west feel of front street was also kind of cool. We headed to La Cocina on the parkway to use our Restaurant.com certificate for lunch (See review.)

We dropped our 2 teens off for a two hour trail ride at Saddle up wine tours, while we, their parents, went for a drive to the MANY local wineries (see the Temecula websites for great 2 for 1 coupons) We ended up only attending two tastings and then heading back to Keyways winery to relax while we waited. The girls ended up with a three hour tour, due to unforeseen circumstances, but since it was a nice day and we had a pleasant time waiting at Keyways, we didn't mind the extra complimentary hour for them! TJ, on the phone was very helpful. our girls had a lot of horseback riding experience and so TJ was very accommodating regarding getting them horses they would enjoy. PLEASE be sure to go the correct address, we had a great deal of difficulty finding the place. Its at the same place as Keyways winery, on Portola road.

Baily Winery

We stopped here with our 2 for 1 coupon on a Wednesday in March and were happy to say we enjoyed our time tasting. It was nice to almost have the place to ourselves and to chat with the host. We tasted 6 or 7 wines and walked away with a $30 bottle of Cab Sav, which was our favorite by far. It was nice to get a credit for our tasting fee back on the price of the bottle.

Mentioned in this post
Temecula
Temecula
California
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from SD trail ride & wine tasting advice please

Many thanks for the follow-up message. It's alway great to hear the outcome on something for which we've offered advice!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from SD trail ride & wine tasting advice please

Can you bring kids with you for the wine tastings? Obviously we wouldn't make a full day of it, but I would like to check one or two out.

9. Re: Day trip from SD trail ride & wine tasting advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 30, 2014