We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coronado Island

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Coronado Island

What restaurants would you recommend on Coronado Island? Decent price and family friendly.

Also, how much time would you spend on the island? We thought about taking the ferry and spending 3-4 hours there. We also have a car so that might be the better option.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,935 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Coronado Island

I wouldn't pay much attention to what "everyone says " to do!

I doubt if most younguns would be interested in walking through an historic hotel unless maybe they were told the ghost stories that go with some of the rooms there!

You need to discuss with your family which things they'd be interested in doing.

Some folks rent bikes in Coronado and ride around looking at scenery.

Some folks spend a day at the beach or part of a day taking a harbor tour.

It is really a very individual choice!

Olathe, Kansas
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Coronado Island

The water isn't really warm enough this time of year is it?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Coronado Island

As for swimming in the ocean/bay. No, the folks that surf wear wet suits. Actually much of the year it is too cold for most, late summer tends to have the highest Water temps.

Now, can you walk along the beach, take off your shoes and get your feet wet... Of course, that is a year round activity.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,370 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Coronado Island

As to what your kids would enjoy has to do with how old they are what they are oriented to. My earliest memories of my father are of him as a Crusader pilot and I've been obsessed by planes and naval ships in general, aircraft carriers specifically, ever since. I think the kids might might the USS Midway more fascinating than the Hotel del Coronado, but it isn't just their trip, it is yours too and the del is well worth seeing.

If I was going to cut out something, I'd cut out the ferry ride. As fun as it can be and unique to kids not used to being on the water, it just takes up too much time.

The Maritime Museum is cool, but not as cool as the USS MIdway and I'd rather see Coronado than the MM.

Burger Lounge is great but VERY hard to get into 11:30-1:30. The restaurants at the Ferry Landing have easy parking and great views. The Ferry Landing has low key from Greek to BBQ, high end Mexican & Italian and a high end fish restaurant. On a nice day Sheerwater at the Hotel del Coronado is great place to sit outdoors.

15. Re: Coronado Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 08, 2014