We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental through Costco

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental through Costco

My choices in San Diego to rent a car using our Costco membership are Alamo, Avis, Budget and Enterprise. We usually rent from Alamo but was surprised to find they are the most expensive of the four in San Diego. Which would you recommend and which is closest to the airport?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car rental through Costco

Budget - $738.00/month

Enterprise - $738.00/month

Avis - $855.00/month

Alamo - $883.50/month

We always rent from Alamo but they are the highest in San Diego.

Hertz isn't an option when using our Costco membership.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car rental through Costco

Lovely2,

When one rents from an airport car rental location. major airports have buses to their car rental location or in some cases a train. In many cases the car rental locations are typically in one area, a few miles from the airport and they are all clustered on one street. Smaller airports have car rentals in a garage which is walking distance from the terminal.

In the case of SAN, one takes the bus to the rental car pickup spot, gets the car and then drives from there. That is why we were suggesting you not worry about how far the exact location is as long as you are picking up from the San Diego Airport. One does have to worry about location if one is going for a city local edition which may be miles away from the airport and won't have that bus transfer.

Now as far as Budget goes, it is the same company as Avis so I don't think you should have any issues. I would suggest you join the Budget frequent renter program before you book your car so that you can pick up your car faster. Everyone has a preference, i get it but Avis/Budget and Hertz are generally the 2 best of the major car companies.

Beside Costco, there are many, many discount codes that are available out there from airlines to companies to professional affiliations and Costco is not always the cheapest. One has to do some research, look and search for codes at sites such as rental car momma and other and find the best deal and not be stuck by one discount code or one company -- It may be the case that another code works better with Alamo compared to say Budget.

AAA members get better deals for example with Hertz

Edited: 7:21 pm, February 01, 2013
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car rental through Costco

We have rented many times both at airports and away from airports. I just wanted to know which car company was the best out of the 4 I mentioned and which rental company was closest to the airport. Done, done and done. Thanks for the replies.

14. Re: Car rental through Costco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 03, 2014