We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation 3 nights August for family - prefer one room

oman
Level Contributor
68 posts
158 reviews
accommodation 3 nights August for family - prefer one room

Hi,

well I have spent a fair bit of time reading posts and looking at suggested hotels but I am still at a loss.

We are a family of 6 2A + 4 children (10, 7, 5, 2) staying in San Diego for 3 nights in August. As a treat we are staying at the Legoland hotel first and will do Legoland those days but then we need to move to another hotel so we can easily see maybe the Zoo, Seaworld etc.

I would prefer to have a large family room or suite with two bedrooms.

THe Hyatt Mission beach is out. The Dana seems a little old in need of TLC??? Catamaran couldn't accommodate our needs.

If I have to I will get two interconnecting rooms.

Can you please suggest a nice hotel to fit our needs.

Many thanks

Clo

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,365 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: accommodation 3 nights August for family - prefer one room

There are few hotels that will allow 6 even in a suite!

One possibility is Humphreys Half Moon Inn which DOES have family suites with full kitchen for 6.

The Embassy Suites La Jolla(not at a beach) has 2 bedroom suites but not sure if they are for 6.

I am not sure if any of the Residence Inns here also have suites for 6.

You might look at the web site and then we can tell you which locations are best.

Edited: 1:41 pm, January 30, 2013
oman
Level Contributor
68 posts
158 reviews
2. Re: accommodation 3 nights August for family - prefer one room

thank you Humphreys Half Moon looks like the best option is we want to stay in the same room.

What would you suggest if we were to get interconnecting rooms in terms of location, able to eat outside of the hotel, easy access to Sea World / Zoo?

Many thanks for your help

oman
Level Contributor
68 posts
158 reviews
3. Re: accommodation 3 nights August for family - prefer one room

Lafayette Hotel this seems nice?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,365 posts
72 reviews
4. Re: accommodation 3 nights August for family - prefer one room

With a car you can really stay anywhere for access to zoo/Sea World and our other activities. From Humphreys the drive won't be more than 15-20min to either place.

There are some restaurants in walking distance and other a very short(5min. drive).

For adjoining rooms or 2 adjoining suites there are toooooo many hotels to list!! The most popular hotel for families is the Homewood Suites/Liberty Station with free bkfst/free pkg. and even some free dinners!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: accommodation 3 nights August for family - prefer one room

Humphrey's is a good suggestion and is on scenic Shelter Island (no bridge to cross) and is a pleasant place to stay. Easy to get around from there. La Fayatte is not in a scenic location.

Have you looked at Homewood Suites Liberty Station for a 2 bedrooms suite? Many families like the free breakfast, free parking (most hotels in SD charge for parking), and free dinners during the week. It saves families money.

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

The Residence Inn on Pacific Hwy in downtown SD has 2 bdrm suites.

marriott.com/hotels/…

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,365 posts
72 reviews
6. Re: accommodation 3 nights August for family - prefer one room

I have not seen the Lafayette Hotel since they have redone rooms and perhaps changed ownership. I suppose I'll have to go and take a look soon but I cannot give you a personal rec for it.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
133 reviews
7. Re: accommodation 3 nights August for family - prefer one room

I'd confirm with the hotel property that they have connecting rooms. A lot of newer properties don't tend to do this. I can't remember the last time I stayed at a property with connecting doors.

oman
Level Contributor
68 posts
158 reviews
8. Re: accommodation 3 nights August for family - prefer one room

thanks to all, I really like the look of the Lafayette and the rates were super reasonable but in the end we ended up going with two rooms at a hotel and we will "hope" that our interconnecting request comes through.

I liked Humprehys as well but in the end the configuration was not what we needed.

thank you for your help it is really appreciated.

clo

9. Re: accommodation 3 nights August for family - prefer one room

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 02, 2014