We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with vacation for 4 couples - beachfront secluded

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Walla Walla
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need help with vacation for 4 couples - beachfront secluded

We are from the Pacific Northwest and looking to travel this summer to someplace really sunny and warm where we can rent a house or villa that is beachfront with water that we are safe to swim around in day and night. There will be 4 couples all in our late 30's. Last summer we rented a houseboat at Shasta and had a great time. We want to be able to get loud and rowdy if we want and not offend close neighbors. Any suggestions? I don't know the California coastline and I am open to any feedback. I would prefer to leave the country, but a couple of our friends are afraid to travel to Mexico, and I don't know if we want to go as far as the Caribbean. Thank you for your help!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,784 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with vacation for 4 couples - beachfront secluded

Hi there,

I'd describe the coastal towns of San Diego County as more suburban feeling towns rather than the woodsy countryside feeling of Lake Shasta!!

You might want to have your nervous friends look into going to

Isla Mujeres off the coast at Cancun, on the Caribbean side. It is VERY safe and there are some gorgeous secluded villas on private beaches that you'd love!! Also there's great restaurants on the island and the locals and tourists are actually friendly with each other!!

The only trouble is that summer is hurricane season so you take your chances on the weather!!

Good luck in your search!!

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with vacation for 4 couples - beachfront secluded

Thanks Riff, I would love Isla Mujeres! The real problem is that all of us are in law enforcement and some of the guys have watched too much TV and just know that they are going to be identified as cops and be kidnapped by drug lords! So lol I don't think I can get them even through CUN to the island ! I'm going to try! Ill find a pretty villa and they won't be able to say no! Any other suggestions within the US?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,784 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with vacation for 4 couples - beachfront secluded

The Mexican navy has a base on Isla and since it is an island they can really control who is there soooo NO worries for you or your friends!!! I was just there in December and am already planning to return!!

The trouble with the California coast is that the ocean water is COLD .

IF I send you to the central coast area you'll find some secluded houses but the ocean is freezing even in summer!

I don't know if Orange County has any secluded areas but you can ask in that forum?? Sorry

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,465 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with vacation for 4 couples - beachfront secluded

I know the Southern California coast very well, and can tell you that you won't find a secluded beachfront home in any city along the coast. The houses are one next the the other, real estate is valuable and coastland is limited, so there are no instances where you are far from a neighbor.

I don't know your budget, but to rent a house here (we don't have "villa"s) in the summer, is extremely expensive - close to $10,000/week on average. You could rent an apartment in Laguna for less, but that doesn't sound like it will suit you. Malibu and La Jolla homes are even more expensive.

Look at VRBO.com for homes to rent (or apartments), but know that you won't be secluded.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with vacation for 4 couples - beachfront secluded

crystalcovebeachcottages.com/html/reserving_… I've never stayed in these cottages. I have been to the beach and the Beachcomber restaurant. I saw one of the beachfront cottages I wanted to stay in but changed my mind as it was not as upscale as I would have wanted. The pictures of some of the other cottages look nice enough. It is an historic community where some of the cottages and other homes are being restored or need restoration. There is a quiet time requested, but there are separate cottages and some may have farther separation where at least you can talk, rowdy would be impolite. I hear it may be hard to get reservations.

beachcalifornia.com/beach/california-ocean-t… "Freezing" is a bit of hyperbole. Santa Barbara's water temps are around 64 degrees in August. Some may disagree, but once it gets up to 62 degrees and the air temps are 70 plus and it's sunny, swimming is not a problem. Beachfront in the Santa Barbara area is only available if you camp or at the remote Cliff House Inn south of SB. Ask if the pool construction is finished. It is a hotel -, you won't be able to get rowdy. Cliff top beachfront is at the expensive Bacara Resort. The best beachfront (across the street) lodging in Santa Barbara are the Biltmore ($$$), Fess Parker, and Harbor View. I found this Miramar Beachfront house - http://www.vrbo.com/10116

If you can afford it, the Hotel del Coronado has cottages on the sand. They look way fun. hoteldel.com/uploadedFiles/About/HDel_Proper…

The Casa de Patron at the Casa Tropicana in San Clemente looks like a possibility. http://www.casatropicana.com/room_patron.htm

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with vacation for 4 couples - beachfront secluded

it wasn't hard to find this place in Mission Beach. Not secluded, but is on the sand. http://www.vrbo.com/245316 (except the bed situation looks awkward for 3 couples.) ehhh... just realized you're looking for 4 couples....

Edited: 3:41 pm, January 26, 2013
7. Re: Need help with vacation for 4 couples - beachfront secluded

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about San Diego