We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kayaking in san diego

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
kayaking in san diego

My boyfriend & I are going to be in San Diego for a few days the last week in April. We are interested in trying kayaking for the first time. I've read that there are a few different places where you can kayak in the san diego area. We have a car, so location does not matter. I read that La Jolla Kayak is a great place to go to. Also, just wondering how the weather will be at that time of year for kayaking?

Any feedback would be helpful, THANKS!

Mission Bay Aquatic Center
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Mission Bay Sportcenter
Waterskiing & Jetskiing, Water Sports, Boat Rentals, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
Everyday California
Water Sports, Kayaking & Canoeing
Bike and Kayak - La Jolla
Scuba & Snorkeling, Bike Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Kayaking & Canoeing
San Diego, Ca
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: kayaking in san diego

There are several Kayak rental places at La Jolla Shores. I've rented from Hike Bike Kayak, but I'm sure they're pretty much the same--look for a discount coupon. The shops are a couple of blocks from the beach, they will either drive you down, or you grab your paddle and vest and meet them at the launch area.

Unless you're going on a tour, they give you a quick saftey lecture, point out the areas to paddle out to, and you're off. The water is usually pretty calm there, so once you get over a wave or two, you can head out to the caves and kelp beds. A couple of hours is more than enough time to cruise around. Weather should be nice, water temp will be rather chilly.

You can also kayak in Mission Bay--the Aquatic Center is once choice. The water is almost always flat there.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
259 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kayaking in san diego

Thanks so much for the info, I think we will try the LaJolla area. Looking forward to this trip!