We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO Bookings

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
VRBO Bookings

Thinking about booking a house in San Diego through VRBO. Has anyone used them before

We have a hotel booked but can cancel with no cancelation penalties, think a house/unit would be more suitable as more room, travelling with partner and two teenage girls

Looking at Little Italy area.

Thanks in advance

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRBO Bookings

VRBO stands for Vacation Rental By Owner. The quality and reliability of the rental depends on the owner of the property.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VRBO Bookings

We have booked in San Diego with VRBO the last two Christmas vacations and also across the US and Europe.several times each year for the past 10 years or more.

We usually make sure that we have a good rapport with the home owner and have not had any problems as yet.

Little Italy is a great place and very central though San Diego residents will be able to help you more.If you are a heavy sleeper you will be OK but because the airport is very close I have noticed that the planes come incredibly low and are very loud.

Both years we have stayed in the southern end of Mission Hills and I have to wear ear plugs to try and sleep once the planes start landing whereas other people in our party have been fine.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,559 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VRBO Bookings

As mentioned above, VRBO is a place where individual people place rental ads for homes. Read the ads carefully. You can also read reviews from people who have stayed in the home at other times. When you find something you like you can post the link and we can tell you more about the specific location.

Little Italy is a convenient area to stay if you do not have a rental car as public transit is available there. IF you will have a car make sure that a parking place is included in the rental.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VRBO Bookings

Little Italy is a good place to stay. Centrally located and easy to hop on the lightrail Trolley and to use public transportation. You can walk to the Bay and / or take the Trolley. And with a car make sure you have a parking spot as said. From there you can be almost to any place you're likely to go within 15 minutes drive.

I can't speak to VRBO since each is owned by their owner. But I would do a google search for the address or the name of the property for reviews.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VRBO Bookings

I have rented vrbo condos and houses almost a dozen times in different cities and states, and have never had any problems. That is not to say that you shouldn't be vigilant and do your homework. Here in San Diego relatives and friends have rented through vrbo, but mostly in the La Jolla Shores area with great success.

Edited: 3:26 pm, January 15, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VRBO Bookings

I also have rented through VRBO, whistler, Utah, and never had any problem at all, I would only go if there are reviews though. Read through the owners profile, as previous replies, talk to the owner, and NEVER send full payment in advance, hope you have a good experience if you decide to go this route. VRBO is one place I will always use

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
seattle
Level Contributor
1,300 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: VRBO Bookings

I'm renting a place in SD next month which I found through VRBO with whom I've had very good success over the years, both in the US and abroard. FYI VRBO also owns HomeAway, a site that seems to have more listings for Europe. It was a UK based company.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VRBO Bookings

Thanks guys,

Went ahead with the booking with a house in Little Italy, owner as been in contact several times

Happy with the outcome, the place is just around the corner from India Street so nice and close to everything.

Just counting the days till we head off.. Bring May on.....

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VRBO Bookings

leannet - Good! India is a long street. Hopefully you are between (or near) Beech to around Laurel. Just to be able to be within the best walking distance to restaurants, the bay, etc. Only because you said 'house' and not 'condo'.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VRBO Bookings

Elizzie4000

It is in Columbia street which runs parallel to India Street, just around from the Princess Pub... So not in Bad location, we will be central to everything

Spent a few night drinking at the Princess on our trip last year... Do know that area well....lol