We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern California-Choose Your Own Adventure

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Southern California-Choose Your Own Adventure

Cross post from the Escondido forum, as that one doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic.

Greetings!

We are staying at the Welk Resort in mid February for a week, and I am putting together a list of day trips/activities before we go. I don't want to plan each and every day, but I do want to have at least 7 days/options so based on weather and how we feel we can make our plans when we wake up!

So far I have:

1. Safari Park

2. Julian/Santa Ysabel

3. Temecula Wineries

We have been to San Diego before, and will probably be back this summer, so we are not overly concerned on visiting San Diego proper this trip, though I am not necessarily ruling it out. On our past trips we have visited La Jolla, Coronado, USS Midway, Harbor Cruise, and Dana Point.

My boyfriend loves cars (car shows/museums) and boats (he can spend hours just sitting near a harbor watching the boats.)

I love wine, good food, shopping, and museums (history).

We both love strolling along beaches, small towns, and photography.

We love driving and exploring.

Any other suggestions for us?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. We are staying in Escondido for two reasons. One, is we have a timeshare we need to use, and there were not a lot of options less than two months out. But, we are excited the opportunity will allow us to meet up with some friends who live in Temecula several nights that we are there.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Southern California-Choose Your Own Adventure

•How about a whale watching cruise? They have them going out of San Diego and Oceanside.

•For small towns that can be combined with beaches and photography, a drive along the coast from Oceanside to La Jolla will be great. You will find different beach communities along the way, each with its own personality/vibe: Carlsbad, Leukadia, Encinitas, Cardiff, Solana Beach, Del Mar.

•Queen Califia's Magical Circle in Escondido is an interesting sculpture garden with sculptures by internationally famous Niki de Saint Phalle.

•Oceanside has a nice museum of art (OMA). The California Surf Museum is fun to visit, as is the Museum of Making Music in Carlsbad (MOMM).

•Mission San Luis Rey de Francia in Oceanside is one of the 21? missions built by the Spanish in early California.

•San Diego County is becoming well known for its beer. A visit to Stone Brewery in San Marcos is a must for many beer lovers.

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Southern California-Choose Your Own Adventure

Looks like Oceanside will be a a stop for us. We drove through last time but didn't stop. I am also going to look into a whale watching cruise! Thanks!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
17,334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Southern California-Choose Your Own Adventure

This is a great whale trip.

www.dolphinsafari.com

4. Re: Southern California-Choose Your Own Adventure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 18, 2013