We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego with 4 kids in January

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego with 4 kids in January

Hi

We're planning on travelling to San Diego In Jan, we have 4 kids and my first question is where to stay? What would be a family friendly place to stay, thats know for being clean and a good rate.

Second question, are there bus tours readily available for Sea World, Legoland, and the zoo? Not sure we feel comfortable driving in this people packed city. What are your suggestions? Is driving crazy, and are the streets easly managed with GPS?

Lastly, what do you think are the best options to buy tickets for these attractions? Thank you all for your info!

La Jolla Wine Tours San Diego Beer and Wine Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bus Tours
Baja Border Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Bus Tours
Five Star Tours - Day Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Coastal Tours of San Diego
Bus Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego with 4 kids in January

Without a vehicle, I like the Old Town San Diego area for families.

www.oldtownsandiego.org

As for discounted tickets, it really depends on which attractions you plan to visit in San Diego, and elsewhere in Southern California. Here is a good list of ticket packages.

mousesavers.com/southern-california-multi-at…

The one place that is a bit difficult to get to using public transit is LEGOLAND.

If you decide to get a rental car, Liberty Station is popular for families. Many like the Homewood suites, since it comes with a Kitchen in the room.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego with 4 kids in January

Thanks for your reply, I see that your the expert for Anaheim, what can you tell me about Best Western Park Place Inn, apparantly its across the street from the main gate? Three days enough at Disneyland?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego with 4 kids in January

Hi Mary - Welcome to San Diego.

To address your first concern about driving ... the areas you will likely be in and going to aren't "people packed" to the extent that driving should be any real issue. If you stay central (near downtown San Diego) you are only a 15 minute drive to most attractions.

With a car Homewood Suites Liberty Station is very popular with families. Free Parking. Free Breakfast. During the week Free Dinners. There's a very large park with playground next door and also next door places to eat.

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

Legoland is approx 40 minutes or so from the main area of San Diego near the airport. It's a straight shot up the 5 freeway. And it's likely you won't be going during any rush hour traffic. I don't know what driving is like where you are from but the places you want to visit driving is usually very easy.

It would also help to know what reasonable is in terms to you in terms of US dollars per night. So what is your per night budget? Also, what kind of room do you need. A suite? Etc.

For your size family Humphrey's Half Moon Inn on Shelter Island also comes to mind. Staying there with a car is very easy. My sister lives close by and I never have traffic going anywhere around there or where you plan on going.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego with 4 kids in January

SeaWorld Discount

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k567063…

Edited: 12:05 am, November 22, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
Level Contributor
28,915 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego with 4 kids in January

mary L,

The Best Western Park Place Inn is a well rated clean standard Motel directly across the street from the Disneyland Main Entrance so a short walk.

Usually a 2 or 3 day Parkhopper is suggested for a visit. You also may want to consider the Southern California City Pass which has a 3 day Disneyland Parkhopper ticket, 1 day Universal Studios and 1 day Seaworld ticket. You can also add the San Diego Zoo to the pass( on the CityPass website only) Its a good value even if you can only use the Disneyland part of the pass and 1 attraction. You can see more info listed on the Mousesavers.com link that was posted and compare discounts ect.

There are usually some pretty good discounts available for Canada residents on Disneyland tickets. Flight Centre Canada has pretty good prices as well on some Parkhopper tickets. Right now Costco Canada is also selling the SoCal City pass I mentioned for a good value to Canada residents only, but I dont know if they will continue that for 2013 or not.

If you are planning on visiting Disneyland, you may want to also post in the Anaheim forum where Disneyland is located if you have more questions or would like more help finding somewhere to stay there.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego with 4 kids in January

Thanks for your reply.

I found a hotel that we are thinking about, called Residence Inn Mission Valley. Price seems alright for the room size and extras. Two bedroom suite with kitchen, free breakfast and Mon-Thur dinners. $219 a night.

What do you think of the area, is this place in a good neighborhood? Close to parks? Would this hotel be in walking distance to shops and resaurants?

What do you think would be a better choice in location, Residence Inn Mission Valley or Inn at the Park. Both have big suites for our family. The first one has free dinners Mon-Thur.

Thanks for all your help!

Edited: 3:56 pm, November 22, 2012
7. Re: San Diego with 4 kids in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:07 am, June 03, 2013
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,198 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego with 4 kids in January

Hi mary - Have you decided to rent a car afterall? I wouldn't want to stay at the Residence Inn Mission Valley w/o a car and 4 kids in tow trying to get around to places like SeaWorld, the Zoo, etc. using the bus. And I don't see that they have a shuttle to/from the airport or any place else.

This is in the area called "Hotel Circle" and that is a group of hotels that line a major Freeway. It's not scenic. And, no, it's not within walking distance to many restaurants and there's no shopping. You'd have to catch a bus to a shopping mall. It's not that it can't be done it's just that it could be inconvenient, time consuming and strictly based on a bus schedule that may not fit in with where you want to go and when.

Have you looked at the Residence Inn on Pacific Hwy in Downtown? At least staying there you are on a major bus line and close to the lightrail trolley system and can get around far more easily than the one in Mission Valley. You are also within walking distance to restaurants, the bay front and local shops.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Inn at the Park is a better location by far to Mission Valley. Across the street from Balboa Park and approx a 20 min or so walk to the Zoo. There are restaurants within walking distance. There are bus lines that go down 4th, 5th & 6th dpending on where you want to go. I don't know how convenient it will be for what you want to do as far as the bus schedule goes.

I'll repeat what I said before. Driving here is not "crazy" especially going to the places you want to go. Easy. This is not Los Angeles !! We don't have that kind of traffic to the places where you are wanting to go. If you have a car and stay anywhere near the downtown area (15 to 20 min away) you will be within 15 or 20 minutes drive to SeaWorld, Zoo. So, again, getting somewhere within 15 or 20 minutes in a car isn't too bad :) If you take the bus it could be 1 hr or more depending on where you are staying and where you want to go.

Also, I'm not sure you've acknowledged the fact that Legoland is not in San Diego but 40 or so miles North and can be difficult to get to without a car.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,172 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Diego with 4 kids in January

The Residence Inn Mission Valley is a great little hotel, reasonably close to the things you want to see, BUT you'd have to have a car to make staying there make sense.

Driving is a lot easier than you might imagine.

Look at the Sommerset Suites and Inn on the Park as well as potential places to stay, but again, I think having a car to see what you want to see is essential. At the Sommerset Suites and Inn on the Park you could easily walk to a lot of restaurants and some shopping. At the Inn at the Park you could walk to the Zoo.

Level Contributor
36,689 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Diego with 4 kids in January

The Marriott Fairfield Inn is a nice property, walking distance to the park. :)