We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending a day at the beach ?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Westfield...
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Spending a day at the beach ?

In addition to seeing the attractions, we would like to spend a day at a beach that will rent beach chairs and umbrellas in an area that has shops and restaurants close by. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending a day at the beach ?

Hi,

Your best bet will be in the Mission Beach/Pacific Beach area.

I just did a quick Google search on "Beach chair rentals San Diego" and came up with several results:

cheap-rentals.com/CR_Chairs_Umbrellas_etc/in…

http://www.rays-rentals.com/

Again, those were from a Google search, so I can't speak to them with first-hand knowledge.

There are plenty of shops, bars, and restaurants along the boardwalk that you can visit, as well as the Belmont Park:

http://www.belmontpark.com/

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending a day at the beach ?

There are no rentals on the beaches themselves. You have to get the equipment and then walk to the beach.

Depending on the day you might also consider La Jolla Shores where there's a grassy park with shade right next to the beach. I don't remember if you are traveling with children?? La Jolla Shores also has a nice playground in the park for young ones!

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending a day at the beach ?

Margo11,

La Jolla Shores is the best beach if you are traveling with children. Otherwise, Wind 'n Sea Beach is very pretty and so is the La Jolla Cove.

I can't think of anywhere to rent beach chairs, but you could pick up some at Burns Drugs on Girard Ave in the village for about $20 each, and the Neighbor Saver (kind of like a 7-11) at La Jolla Shores sells them for about the same price. In summer, CVS and numerous other places have less expensive ones, but they've all put away their beach stuff now to make room for holiday merchandise.. I don't know where you're staying but they might be willing to lend you a couple of chairs for the day. I know vacation rental companies always provide them, but not so sure about hotels.

Elizabeth Hansen

www.LaJollaTravelInformation.com

Edited: 3:09 pm, November 17, 2012
La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending a day at the beach ?

Margo 11,

I spoke to soon. After I posted the message above I called La Jolla Surf Systems at La Jolla Shores, and they rent beach chairs for $2 an hour or $6 for 4 hours.Their phone number is 858-456-2777. They are located less that a block from the beach at 2132 Avenida de la Playa.

Enjoy La Jolla!

Elizabeth Hansen

www.LaJollaTravelInformation.com

Westfield...
Level Contributor
248 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending a day at the beach ?

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to make this call and for sharing the information. I really appreciate your help.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending a day at the beach ?

Another vote for the Mission/Pacific Beach area, and Cheap Rentals.

Especially at the Pacific Beach area, there are plenty of shops/restaurants as compared to the La Jolla Shores area.

7. Re: Spending a day at the beach ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:59 am, June 03, 2013
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending a day at the beach ?

While Hamel's has a great location and merchandise for sale, it is not the best to rent from, as they tend to charge more and not take as good care on its rental merchandise as those who specialize in mainly renting.

9. Re: Spending a day at the beach ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, December 16, 2013