We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mission Bay/Beach or La Lolla Condo with Kids?

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mission Bay/Beach or La Lolla Condo with Kids?

Hi all. Thinking of spending a week in SD July 2013 - never been before but have high hopes. Family of four, two boys who'll be 8 and 11. They'll love to play ball games on the beach or try surfing/body-boarding - perhaps some sailing. We want to rent somewhere beach-side which has fun things to do within a 10minute walk/cycle ride but is not too noisy at night. Preferences for [South] Mission Beach/Bay, La Lolla Shores - or any other suggestions?

Also: I'll not get away without a Disney trip. Presumably you can do that easily from SD, but what would you say about Laguna Beach as a base by way of comparison?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Mentioned in this post
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mission Bay/Beach or La Lolla Condo with Kids?

OK, my vote is for Mission Beach.

But if you want to do Disneyland/California Adventure/Knott's, I would look at Huntington Beach, a great place for kids. The drive from San Diego to the Anaheim area can be 2 hours or more, maybe a bit less in light traffic.

www.surfcityusa.com

Mentioned in this post
Disneyland Park
Disneyland Park
24,937 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Huntington Beach
Huntington Beach
Orange County, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
The Anaheim Hotel
The Anaheim Hotel
163 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,374 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mission Bay/Beach or La Lolla Condo with Kids?

Well staying in Laguna Beach or Newport Beach makes Disney much easier and 20 minutes instead of 75 minutes or more from South Mission or La Jolla.

In its current configuration Disney really takes more than one day, especially with kids 8 & 11, so if you really want to do Disney then Orange County is where you should be looking.

If you think the San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld, Leoland, et al will be enough to entertain your kids then I would stay in the South Mission Beach area (south of Mission Bay Blvd) and I really prefer the bay side to the ocean side.

The La Jolla Shore is great, but it is so crowded in summer that South Mission is more appealing.

Mentioned in this post
Laguna Beach
Laguna Beach
Orange County, CA
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
Orange County
Orange County
California
San Diego Zoo
San Diego Zoo
24,455 Reviews
San Diego, CA
SeaWorld San Diego
SeaWorld San Diego
9,198 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Mission Bay Park
Mission Bay Park
530 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,471 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mission Bay/Beach or La Lolla Condo with Kids?

Many if not most of the residents of San Diego visit Disneyland for day trips without spending the night. For all of your other proposed adventures, South Mission Beach would be an excellent choice

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,374 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mission Bay/Beach or La Lolla Condo with Kids?

>>>Many if not most of the residents of San Diego visit Disneyland for day trips without spending the night<<<

Yeah but many if not most of the residents of San Diego have been going to "Disneyland" for years and know what they want to see and what they want to skip and the "Disneyland" that most San Diegans grew up with is no longer just Disneyland. You now have Disney California Adventure, Downtown Disney and the original Disneyland to contend with.

Disneyland in July will be open 9AM to Midnight and when you want to do the parades, shows, fireworks and the rides you use up all of one day and that is without seeing the new Cars Land in DCA that really appeals to boys. Even if you just did Disneyland, do you really want an hour plus drive back to San Diego after an entire day of walking around the parks?

I think the decision is do you do a week at the beach in San Diego and San Diego sights or do you do a week in Orange County and spend 2-3 days at the Disney parks.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Orange County
Orange County
California
London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mission Bay/Beach or La Lolla Condo with Kids?

Thanks both for such quick responses - much appreciated. Perhaps I take London for granted, but you guys are spoilt for choice in California. The South Mission guidance confirmed my thoughts, but I also take the point about multi-day Disney trips. My issue is that peak season beach condo rentals seem to be 1 week minimum, so I'm trying to assess where the best base is before we head up north. I'll give it further thought.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mission Bay/Beach or La Lolla Condo with Kids?

if you can, spend the week in san diego mission beach and then go to anaheim for 2 nights. hotels around disney are relatively boring but you are not in them much. i'd leave san diego really early in the morning and get to disney as soon as it opens. then you could take a break in the afternoon and check into your hotel (ask them if you can just park your car there early even though you can't check in till later). the kids could have a swim in the pool and then return to disney for the evening. then spend the next day at disney again and go on your way the next morning.

i've done day trips to disney from san diego. just warn the kids it will be a really long, long day and the downside is you have no where to go for a break during the day.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mission Bay/Beach or La Lolla Condo with Kids?

Good advice above. (By the way, it's La Jolla, not La Lolla.) I too would recommend Mission Beach over La Jolla. La Jolla is lovely but a bit more adult oriented (the village anyway) and it's a pain to get to the freeway from LJ in order to do other sightseeing.

Mentioned in this post
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
La Jolla Inn
La Jolla Inn
45 Reviews
La Jolla, CA
London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mission Bay/Beach or La Lolla Condo with Kids?

Thanks everyone. Sorry about the typo!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
435 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mission Bay/Beach or La Lolla Condo with Kids?

Mission beach 4sure. However, you will need to book now July is super busy esp over July 4th. As for Disney--IMO a day trip is no problem at all. If you find a condo you like on-line send me a PM and I can look at it for you.

Casey
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mission Bay/Beach or La Lolla Condo with Kids?

I've not done this trip yet, so I have no real advice...but this is what I think we want to do next summer:

Start in San Diego- stay at The Dana on Mission Bay. From there you can walk or free shuttle to Sea World, bike around Mission Bay and/or to Mission Beach, there is a bike and marina rental right outside the hotel. I think we'll enjoy the setting there. From the sounds of your original post, you might enjoy it too. There is also a bus stop outside the hotel.

When we're done we're going to head up to Anaheim and stay at Park Vue Inn and spend 3 or 4 days at Disney.

Will you have a car? We won't, but I think I've got all the transportation figured out for what we want to do.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
The Dana on Mission Bay
The Dana on Mission Bay
2,614 Reviews
San Diego, CA
SeaWorld San Diego
SeaWorld San Diego
9,198 Reviews
San Diego, CA