We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tax Refund in San Diego

Queretaro City...
2 posts
Save Topic
Tax Refund in San Diego

Someone told me in the San Ysidro outlet that is no tax refund in California. Is it true?

Thanks

Julien B

http://www.boustens.com/

Edited: 12:33 pm, October 26, 2012
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tax Refund in San Diego

Sorry. There is no tax refund here.

Why are you posting that website here on Trip Advisor? Are you advertising?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,243 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tax Refund in San Diego

There are no tax refunds for foreign citizens making purchases ANYWHERE in the USA!

Your signature is allowed to be your own web site so not exactly against the rules but a bit confusing since it has nothing to do with tourist travel(I think??)

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tax Refund in San Diego

Actually Riff, Louisiana refunds sales tax to foreign tourists. How random is that, right? I think Louisiana is unique in that regard.

Julien - The US doesn't have a VAT tax. All sales taxes are administered at the state level. Every state sets its own sales tax rates (some have no sales tax at all) and the various counties and cities can raise money by adding to that rate for items purchased in their juristiction.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tax Refund in San Diego

There is a "Duty Free" store that doesn't charge tax at the Border, but you are required to walk into Mexico after your purchase in San Ysidro.

http://www.bajadutyfree.com/locations.shtml

Queretaro City...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tax Refund in San Diego

Thanks guys for your answers.

I know that in Texas it was possible to get tax refund. Some store like bestbuy has the refund service just next to customer service.

But I was surprise to learn that every state is doing what they want about VAT and due to financial trouble of California government, tourists help to pay back the huge debt!

Sorry about my signature. It is my own site. I just want to one more backlink.

LA
Level Contributor
10,107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tax Refund in San Diego

There is no VAT in the US. Any tax refund is state tax refunded. Don't confuse the two.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tax Refund in San Diego

There are a lot of reasons for states to administer their own sales tax programs - and the main one is to make sure that the money collected stays local. If we had a federal sales tax, all revenue would be paid to the federal government and then returned to the states, counties, and cities based on some formula. We have a federal income tax, which works that way - and some states (California being one of them) get back less than they put into the system while other states get back more. The more prosperous states subsidize the less prosperous. Currently California has money problems - we certainly don't want any more of our money taken out of our state and given to other states by the federal government. California's money problems are more complex than sales tax, obviously, but we don't need to compound the problem.

As for tourists helping paying back the debt - I look at it as tourists paying for the services they use while they are here, regardless of the financial situation in the state. Tourists use our roads, state parks, airports, public transportation, etc., all of which is fully or partially supported by tax money.

When American tourists go to other countries that have VAT, we can only get refunds for certain purchases. VAT added to meals, hotel rooms, etc. is not eligible for refund in most places - only VAT on goods purchased. So we are paying for other countries' debt as well.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tax Refund in San Diego

We would love to have you in our neck of the woods and to shop our malls and enjoy our city. If you feel that paying sales tax is something you do not wish to do for moral or monetary reasons, and feel that Texas is the place to be, well then I think Texas is a lovely state to visit as well and I am sure they won't mind having more visitors there.

This is not a recent move caused by the recession. If you feel you woud like to complain, please contact the Governor of CA in Sacramento.

Edited: 7:49 pm, October 26, 2012
9. Re: Tax Refund in San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:02 pm, June 08, 2013
Scottsdale
Level Contributor
167 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tax Refund in San Diego

Yes, such a shame you have to pay the VAT in California. After all, a lot of that huge debt is due to the state caring for the citizens of Mexico that have chosen to relocate themselves there. Go ahead and contribute, the deadbeats will thank you for it. Travel safely.