We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego/Anaheim trip without a car

Casey
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego/Anaheim trip without a car

I've just started looking into this- our hopeful trip is next July, but I like to plan! My husband would love to get by without a rental car- he drives for a living and likes to let others take the wheel on vacation. Seems lots of people do this, but I need advice specific to us. Our objectives are Sea World, a beach, and possibly the zoo...don't know if anything else.

So I'm looking at the Fairfield Inn Old Town, because I hear they have a variety of shuttles. Here is what I have so far:

-Fly into SAN

-Complimentary shuttle to hotel

-Complimentary shuttle to Sea World and Zoo

-Beach- do I take a taxi or a bus or what?? (Also, which beach is good and easiest to get to?)

-I think there is a complimentary shuttle from Fairfield Inn to Amtrak station? If not, taxi or public transport?

-Amtrak to Anaheim

-Taxi to a hotel on Harbor

-Walk to Disneyland from hotel a few days

-Pay for a shuttle to SNA

-Fly home

Foresee any problems with this plan? Is there any better choice of hotels? A free breakfast is a big plus for us, and of course the shuttles are what we are looking for. I like the courtyard there at Fairfield- if we can't have some sort of ocean view or bay view, at least we can look over a courtyard. I was also looking at The Dana, but transportation would be more of an issue there I think.

We need to go during summer break. Have heard June is gloomy? In July probably need to avoid July 4 and Comic-con? Or not? August is out.

Any advice appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
SeaWorld San Diego
SeaWorld San Diego
9,200 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Old Town Inn
Old Town Inn
2,054 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Anaheim
Anaheim
Orange County, CA
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego/Anaheim trip without a car

Sounds like you have it figured out fairly well.

I would contact the Fairfield directly about the shuttle to the Santa Fe Station (main train station), they used to advertise it, but it is close to the Cruise Ship Terminal).

If not, I would just get a taxi (short trip) with your luggage. If you only have a light load, you could just catch the Amtrak train at Old Town, as most Amtrak's are now stopping at the station.

http://www.amtrak.com/pacific-surfliner-train

Yes, to get to the beach from the Old Town Station, just walk tot he Old Town Transit Center, and catch either Route 8, 9 or 30, all three go to Pacific Beach. (Route 8 goes through Mission Beach also). Also, the Old Town Transit Center has the San Diego Trolley, which can take you many other places.

http://www.sdcommute.com/

Also, agree with your dates to avoid.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
Old Town Inn
Old Town Inn
2,054 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,087 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego/Anaheim trip without a car

Hi bjscheel - Welcome to San Diego!

Your plan sounds good to me. Old Town is a good place to stay w/o a car to get around. There are certainly other hotels that have the free shuttle so it depends on your budget. If the Fairfield Inn looks good to you then fine.

From OT the best beach to head to is probably Mission Beach/Pacific Beach. The #8 will get you there

…sdmts.com/sdmtsapp/mtscr/TimeTable.aspx…

Another hotel right on the Bay in Downtown that also has a free shuttle is Holiday Inn on the Bay. It's really too early to see the rates for next July but you might keep your eye on it. It's a good location to get around.

holidayinn.com/hotels/…hoteldetail

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Old Town Inn
Old Town Inn
2,054 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,087 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego/Anaheim trip without a car

YES, do avoid Comic Con and July 4th for better rates and availability. And you're right about the Dana. Not good for public transportation.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego/Anaheim trip without a car

Just went to the Fairfield Inn Old Town page, and good news...

marriott.com/hotels/…

>>Convenient location in the heart of Old Town, enjoy our complimentary airport, cruise ship terminal & Amtrak Station. <<

Now, the bad news, I no longer see the free shuttle to SeaWorld and the San Diego Zoo any longer.

That said, to get to SeaWorld is easy, you walk to the Old Town Transit Center and catch Route 9, which will drop you off in the parking lot near the entrance.

As for the San Diego Zoo, you would take the Trolley to the Santa Fe Station, and transfer to another Trolley line to City College, and then catch the Route 7 bus to the Zoo. Not bad, but a couple of transfers

Edited: 1:52 pm, July 19, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Old Town Inn
Old Town Inn
2,054 Reviews
San Diego, CA
SeaWorld San Diego
SeaWorld San Diego
9,200 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego Zoo
San Diego Zoo
24,450 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Santa Fe
Santa Fe
New Mexico
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego/Anaheim trip without a car

I was beginning to think that the HI on the Bay stopped their free shuttle to the Zoo but finally found this

hisandiegoonthebay.com/san-diego-zoo-hotels

However, the free shuttle doesn't go to SeaWorld.

hisandiegoonthebay.com/hotel-near-seaworld

Mentioned in this post
SeaWorld San Diego
SeaWorld San Diego
9,200 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego/Anaheim trip without a car

I generally don't recommend a hotel in Hotel Circle but I'll just mention that the Days Inn has a free shuttle to everywhere you want to go.

www.dayshotelhc.com/getting-around/index.cfm

And, the #88 bus will take you to Old Town.

Or the #120 bus will take you to the Gaslamp.

Mentioned in this post
Old Town Inn
Old Town Inn
2,054 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Casey
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego/Anaheim trip without a car

Fairfield Inn does not mention the SW and Zoo shuttles on their website, but I messaged the Fairfield Inn Old Town facebook page and they confirmed that they do have those shuttles and gave me the specific times. Someone on another discussion board had emailed Marriott's customer service and was told there was no shuttles at all, but I guess I would tend to believe a source at the actual hotel. I will call and confirm before booking anything. I am still looking at hotels that have the features I want- need to check out another linked above.

Trying to figure out how you know what bus goes where with the transit system, their website is not helping me much. If I know 8 goes to Mission Beach and Pacific Beach, that is probably all I need to know. Coronado looks cool though.

Mentioned in this post
Old Town Inn
Old Town Inn
2,054 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,087 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Coronado
Coronado
California
8. Re: San Diego/Anaheim trip without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 15, 2013