We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel del Coronado or Pacific Terrace?

New England
Level Contributor
145 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel del Coronado or Pacific Terrace?

Would a family of 5 (kids 11-17) like Coronado or Pacific Beach better? We only have 2 nights at either then will spend 3 nights in the downtown area near convention center. Both seem beautiful (& expensive) so we want to make the best choice since we may never get this chance again. Thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,729 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotel del Coronado or Pacific Terrace?

The bridge to Coronado is just south of downtown. PB is about 15min.(on the freeway) north of downtown. You can also get to Coronado (without the car)using the ferry that goes from the harbor just a little north of downtown. If you are going to have yur car the whole time I suggest that while you are in PB you visit La jolla (north of PB) and Sea World(if that's on your agenda) and then save Coronado for when you are in downtown.

Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotel del Coronado or Pacific Terrace?

Looking, although not directly on the way you may want to take Sunset Cliffs in to Ocean Beach (south of PB) and check out Cabrillo Monument on Pt. Loma. You can take Harbor Blvd from Pt. Loma and check out Shelter and Harbor Islands on the way back to 5 South to bridge. Nice views of the City/harbor from these spots. It would add another 30 minutes or more to the drive depending on how long you stop. There is a Navy base on Coronado, so weekdays avoid early morning commute into or late afternoon out. Weekends aren't really a problem except late afternoon out of beach areas.

Level Contributor
116 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotel del Coronado or Pacific Terrace?

Looking, I think your family will love Pacific Terrace Hotel. My family (kids 17 and 20) just returned from there and had a great time. I saw many families with younger kids having a great time as well. This hotel is a class act with customer service as their number one priority. The view and the spacious rooms are great as is the breakfast. The entire place is smoke free and there's plenty of great people watching on the Boardwalk. Have a great vacation!