We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Sheraton Suites

Boston
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego Sheraton Suites

We are coming to an event in June, and got bumped from the Omni to this hotel. The event is actually going to be at the Marriott at the marina. By doing a mapquest it looks like we are about a mile or so away. Can anybody provide info regarding the trolly service between these two hotels, or are we going to have to rely on cabs. Walking during the day could be an option, but I'm not sure at night. Any information you can provide regarding the area that the Sheraton Suites is around would be appreciated.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Sheraton Suites

The Sheraton Suites is a nice hotel in an area known as "Cortez Hill", lots of new developments, including the fabulous old Cortez Hotel (hence the name) that is now a very high-end residential tower. One of the new up and coming residential areas of San Diego. The area is safe both day and night, but there are some areas between there and the Marriott Marina that I wouldn't walk alone at night (I'm a single woman)

It's an easy walk during the day - you're right, around a mile - but your best bet would probably be a cab at night as the trolley stop isn't near the Sheraton. I don't think a cab would cost more than $5 though.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Sheraton Suites

Kmegsmom

I live on Cortez Hill and want to stress that the walk from Cortez Hill to the Marriott is quite short, your estimate of a mile is probably correct.

I think the riskiness of this area is completely overstated by the earlier post -- our resident expert. The trolley runs along C Street and it is a pedestrian zone through downtown. As such, some transients tend to loiter in this area. In the day and evening it is not an issue. Homelessness does not equal criminality. You may feel uncomfortable but you will be safe.

If you are OK with that, the benefit of the Marriott Suites is that the area is less noisy than the Gaslamp and other parts of downtown. Depending on the conference, there may be shuttle service. The normal downtown loop for a big convention includes a stop at Twiggs Coffee Shop, one block away from the Marriott Suites.

Your walk will take you through the Gaslamp Entertainment Area or you can choose to walk up and over the Horton Plaza mall. Both are fun and allow for some interesting diversion from your conference.

Please be aware that San Diego has long thermometers and June weather is referred locally as June gloom. It may be nice during the day but the temperature will fall as soon as the sun sets. Also, the coastal marine layer (fog) may be slow to burn off, so you may leave the hotel in a chill but need to shed a sweater if you go outside at lunch. Without going all Annie Hall, the word is: layers.

Best of luck.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Sheraton Suites

I want to clarify that I never indicated that the Cortez Hill area was at all unsafe - I just mentioned that I wouldn't walk from their to the Marriott alone at night as you pass through some less safe areas. If you are in a group, I'm sure you wouldn't mind at all.

Boston
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Sheraton Suites

I'd like to thank you both for your responses. We look forward to our trip and know we will enjoy San Diego. Wish I was there right now, it's 20 degree and freezing on the east coast! Thanks.