We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego/anaheim/Los Angeles, hotel advice

Rogersville, AL
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
San Diego/anaheim/Los Angeles, hotel advice

I've been reading everyone's advice and trying to plan this trip. I think we are going to take your advice and fly into San Diego, start our trip there, go on to Anaheim and stay a couple of days and then on to Los Angeles for a couple of days and fly out of LAX. I need help on hotels. Where to stay in San Diego, my daughter wants to go to Sea World and the Zoo, thought about La Jolla or Mission Beach area? Safe? Expensive? We will rent a car. Anaheim? best hotels outside the park? And finally Los Angeles. Safe part of town, we want to visit Chinese theater, Peterson Car Museum, maybe a city tour, and what about the Tonight Show, is it worth it?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego/anaheim/Los Angeles, hotel advice

In San Diego there is a road called Hotel Circle and its not too far from the zoo and sea world. Now if going to the zoo the pass at least use to be good for the Wild Animal park which is a must see and usually is overlooked. La Jolla is nice but pricy IMO. Stay in SD and drive. The tonight show I think is great. Use to go to those once a month when I lived in Lancaster.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,952 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego/anaheim/Los Angeles, hotel advice

Hotel Circle has some reasonably priced hotels but most of us who live here in town think it is not a fun place to stay. It might be good if you are just driving through because it is right on the I-8 freeway. There's no place to walk around. Mission Beach is a perfectly nice area with varying price accomodations. Another area with low prices is Little Italy the Super 8 Bayview or The Pensione are inexpensive. It is a cute neighborhood with good restaurants and easy access to everywhere. Also in our Old Town area is a nice Best Western Hacienda Suites which will be a little more expensive.There are several hotels along our waterfront(:not at a beach ) overlooking the bay-The Holiday Inn on the Bay(not to be confused with others that have similar sounding names)is nice. Read some of the reviews on this site and give us a clue about price range.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego/anaheim/Los Angeles, hotel advice

I completely agree with Riffsmom, there are so many nicer places to stay than the Hotel Circle area that I really don't recommend it. Too much traffic, too much congestion, not pedestrian friendly, just lots of hotels, car dealerships and malls. Not my idea of where I want to stay when I'm on vacation.

I would either look in the downtown - Little Italy area, or Mission Beach - La Jolla -Coronado beach areas. All of theses are quite are safe. You didn't mention a budget, but the nicest beach beach areas - Coronado and La Jolla are wonderful if you want a really nice, quiet, safe beach area; Mission Beach tends to be a bit noiser and busy, but still safe.

Rogersville, AL
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego/anaheim/Los Angeles, hotel advice

Our price range is $100-150dollars. Our main concern is safe area. Since we've never been to California before we have no idea of the best area's to stay in. We know we are going to have to rent a car, I just hope the driving is not too bad, I've read a lot about the traffic. Since we are flying into San Diego we didn't know which place would be the best to stay at and easiest to get to. We will be coming in on a Saturday afternoon.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego/anaheim/Los Angeles, hotel advice

For SD listen to the advice of the local experts they have it well covered. One note La Jolla while nice is a fair ways up from the Zoo. Personally I like Little Italy, but the beach areas including Coronado are nicer.

Top Disney area hotels include the Candy Cane Inn and the Howard Johnson, there is also a Best Western across the parks that is nice. If you don't mind being a couple miles away the Ayres Anaheim (across Arrowhead pond) is very nice as well.

With LA you are looking at going to Hollywood, Burbank, and LAX which is technically in Inglewood. You could stay in any of these areas depending what your main focus would be and your budget. Hollywood would appear the logical choice, but what I normally do is stay near LAX as there are nice affordable hotels that allow for access to the surrounding areas. If you are going to be in a particular area more than one night you would be well advised to pick a hotel in that area. Near LAX you can't go wrong with the Hilton Garden Inn in El Segundo or the nearby Doubletree both close to the airport and the freeways.

You need to plan the LA part of your trip in particular to allow to fit things in to a short timeframe. Don't expect to accomplish more than two things such as a downtown LA walking tour and Leno in one day. You would be hard pressed to take a bus tour and get to Leno the same day. Hollywood tours will include the Chinese Theater. If you go to Burbank for Leno you may also want to check Warner Bros Studio tour this would make for a full day trip to Burbank.

Rogersville, AL
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego/anaheim/Los Angeles, hotel advice

Thanks for the advice. The two days in Los Angeles seems to be the hardest for me to plan. We want to do as much as we can, the Tonight show , I don't know, we may have to skip it , but my husband definately wants to go to the Peterson Musuem, chinese theater, walk of stars, farmers market, are all things we would like to do and a tour of a studio. I may be trying to do too much. Do you know of a good safe hotel in Hollywood around $100- $150?