We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We had a fab-yooo-lous vacation - thanks to all for the...

Round Rock, TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
We had a fab-yooo-lous vacation - thanks to all for the...

This board was so helpful as we were planning our trip (we were in SD from Jan 7-15). Thanks, everyone!

We stayed at the Balboa Park Inn for half the week, Grande Colonial in La Jolla for the other half. Both were perfect and exactly what we needed. I recommend both places. I will post my reviews for those hotels.

Thanks to Chissis for the terrific restaurant recommendations. We enjoyed a lunch at the Prado so much that we went back for dinner. The kids (and parents!) had a terrific lunch at the Corvette Diner. We loved Taste of Thai & El Zarape. Breakfasts were mostly spent at Hash House A-Go-Go and Harry's in La Jolla (my grandparents used to go there ;-)) It was so nice to have recommendations rather than shoot in the dark!

During our week we went:

To Cabrillo/Point Loma - foggy and wonderful, exploratory fun. My daughter found a starfish in a tidepool.

On a whale watching tour with Harbor Excursions - breathtaking - one of the best whale watching days ever, according to the Birch folks).

To Coronado Island - the bridge was free (no tolls this time of year?), Coronado was fun to walk around, and we had a blast on the beach at the Hotel Del.

To the zoo - did the guided bus tour to get oriented and then spent a wonderful day there. The polar bears were a highlight, as were the pandas. The children's zoo was also a wonderful surprise.

To several museums in Balboa Park - the kids loved the Fleet Science Center and the Aerospace Museum. The architecture was so lovely to look at as we walked around.

To the Birch Aquarium - we met friends and spent the day at this spot, where we were in awe of the giant octopus, the sea dragons, the sea horses, the sharks, the list goes on! The kids were even able to participate in an experiment where they extracted DNA from wheat germ. The rest of the day was spent walking along the coast in La Jolla (spectacular).

Exploring La Jolla - we met so many nice people, loved all the resale shops that benefitted area animal rescue groups (near and dear to my heart), and loved the scenery and many park areas along the coast. We were staying so close to the Children's Pool, so our kids loved to run down to see the seals as often as possible!

To LegoLand - my concession to the kids, since they were dying to go. We had a great time and it was perfect for their ages (4 and 7). The Lego sculptures were amazing, the park was very, very clean, the shows were fun, the rides were a blast, and we just had a terrific time.

Hubby had to drag me away from the bench by the Cove on Sunday. I so wanted to stay, but our dogs and cats at home needed us ;-) Now I am happily planning our next trip back!

Sail San Diego
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Adventure R.I.B. Rides
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Private Tours
Hornblower Cruises & Events
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Boat Tours
San Diego Whale Watch
Dolphin & Whale Watching
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We had a fab-yooo-lous vacation - thanks to all for the...

WOW! You did a lot and went a lot of places - awesome. So glad you enjoyed your trip, all the attractions that you visited, and that you liked the restaurants. Isn't the Prado awesome!! Your report was fun to read, and will has some great ideas for future travelers - come back soon!

Chicago
Level Contributor
488 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We had a fab-yooo-lous vacation - thanks to all for the...

Wow! Sounds like you had a wonderful trip and saw so much! Can you tell me more about the whale watching tour? I'm considering one for my trip in March, but still haven't decided. Also, where can I find the resale shops in LaJolla? Important, since I can only window shop in most of the stores there!

Round Rock, TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We had a fab-yooo-lous vacation - thanks to all for the...

Lucky you - I'm jealous that you are going back to SD ;-)

We took a morning whale-watching tour (were told the sea would be more calm than the afternoon). As we left the harbor, the kids loved seeing the sea lions, the various birds, and the Navy team training a dolphin.

A Birch Aquarium-Scripps naturalist narrated during the whole trip, so it was very educational & interesting for all of us. She was accompanied by several BA-Scripps assistants. They all walked around to answer questions/talk to people, and they also had samples--such as whale skin, baleen, whale lice--that you can hold & look at.

Once we hit the open water and headed out, we saw our first whale. Then we saw a second, then a third, then we saw them coming together (they were communicating under water to each other). A fourth and a fifth joined up. It was just amazing. One whale came up to the boat and surfaced right next to us. Quite a once-in-a-lifetime experience. We were out for about 3 hours.

The Harbor Excursions folks guarantee a sighting, so if it's an off day you can come back again for free.

In La Jolla, the wonderful resale shops were all along Girard. There were at least 3 on the way toward Torrey Pines Rd.

Happy planning (a return trip) to you!!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
67 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We had a fab-yooo-lous vacation - thanks to all for the...

I was hoping someone could offer me suggestions for our trip to California. My kids want to stay on a beach but we plan to visit Legoland, San Diego Zoo and hoped to get to Disneyland/California Adventure. Is that two seperate trips or drivable? are there tours to opposite attractions as some are an hour away?? Is Legoland going to be an absolute bore to my 15 year old? HELP! Thanks.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We had a fab-yooo-lous vacation - thanks to all for the...

I think the boredom stage for Legoland is 10..After Disneyland,you will be exhausted,if you do it right..Stay in the area,and for a real blast,see Universal Studios the next day...

Michigan
Level Contributor
336 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We had a fab-yooo-lous vacation - thanks to all for the...

Thanks for all of your good info. We are staying in La Jolla in early April and plan on doing almost exactly what you did. I can't wait.