We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does the taxi cost?

Moscow, Russia
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How much does the taxi cost?

Hi! I'm staying at Carmel Valley and need to get to the UTC Apple Shop by myself, but there's no public transportation here. How much it could take me to go there and back be taxi?

Thanks in advance!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,350 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does the taxi cost?

It is about 9miles . Taxi starts at $3+ and then $3+per mile sooo it would be

approximately $32+tip each way.

Are you staying with a family or in a hotel??

I'd try and get a ride closer and then take public transportation.

Tell us your exact address.

Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does the taxi cost?

Call a cab company and they'll tell you. Pretty simple and you don't have to go to a travel board to help you with the information.

Moscow, Russia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How much does the taxi cost?

It is if you know the number of proper cab company =) It makes sense fir me to ask here cause i know (and use) this site and know NOTHING about America %)

Moscow, Russia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How much does the taxi cost?

Ok, thanks! I was thinking about the same decision :)

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much does the taxi cost?

There are many different cab companies in Southern California, but a good rule of thumb is $3 to enter the taxi, $3 a mile, plus something called "wait time" which is about $30 per hour, where the taxi gets stuck in traffic, or has to wait at a stop light for more than a few seconds.

So going to something like www.google.com/maps and get the mileage, and then do the match, for example if it is 12 miles that is $36 in mileage, plus $3 to enter the taxi, and wait time. So $39, I tend to add 20% most of the time, or more if it will be rush hour. So now we are at $47, plus a tip to the driver. Sometimes it can be less, but it is IMHO a good budgeting tool.

So cities/counties do require "flat fares" which are agreed in advance, so you don't have to worry about wait time.

So the longer the trip, the more I would look at renting a town-car or similar vehicle, where you get a price quote in advance.

Moscow, Russia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How much does the taxi cost?

Thanks a lot, that's really complete answer :) I totally wil rent a car when/if I come to USA next time. There's no life without a car here)

7. Re: How much does the taxi cost?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, October 29, 2012