We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant suggestion please

barbados
Level Contributor
333 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant suggestion please

Hi,

We are visiting San Diego in February, staying in the Super 8 Bayview (Columbia St) and it will be our wedding anniversary whilst we are there - anyone have any suggestions please on some nice/romantic restaurants nearby - either walking distance or short taxi ride away - Thanks :)

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant suggestion please

You might not want to walk - it's doable. Probably 30 min leisurely along the water past the cruise ships and the Midway. Taxi probably 3-5 min for the following:

The Top of the Market is where my sister and her husband go every year for their anniversary. You might want to look at their menu. Overlooking the water - very nice. If it's too expensive look at the menu for The Fish Market which is downstairs.

Top of the Market (upstairs The Fish Market)

thefishmarket.com/menus/topmarketmenu_6.pdf

The Fish Market

thefishmarket.com/menus/topmarketmenu_6.pdf

A very lovely restaurant with panoramic views of all of San Diego is Bertrand at Mister A's. Have a look at their site( just a few min from your hotel but all uphill...)Again, expensive.

http://www.bertrandatmisteras.com/

Also, you are walking distance to Little Italy. Some of the restaurants are very good but for an anniversary dinner - if you're looking for a romantic, more quiet spot etc. some of them will be too noisy because they're small. Also, no views. A good restaurant for another night is Bon Apetito on India St., reasonable prices.

http://www.buonappetito.signonsandiego.com/

http://www.littleitalysd.com/Dining.asp

Elizabeth

Saratoga Springs...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant suggestion please

Hi--I am going back to visit in SD in February as well. There is one place I always love to go to: El Agave. Its fantastic--the food is amazing--I would describe it as upscale mexican; great mole sauces; fantastic steaks. It is very cute. I think they claim they have more types of tequila than any other bar or restuarant in the country. Good luck--perhaps not the most romantic, but certainly great for dinner. Kristin

Their site is www.elagave.com. the frommer's guide says: Frommer's Review:

Don't be misled by this restaurant's less than impressive location above a liquor store on the outskirts of Old Town. This warm, bustling eatery continues to draw local gourmands for the regional Mexican cuisine and rustic elegance that leave the touristy fajitas-and-cerveza joints of Old Town far behind. El Agave is named for the agave plant from which tequilas are derived, and they boast more than 850 boutique and artisan tequilas from throughout the Latin world -- bottles of every size, shape, and jewel-like hue fill shelves and cases throughout the dining room. But even teetotalers will enjoy the restaurant's authentically flavored mole sauces (from Chiapas, rich with peanuts; tangy tomatillo from Oaxaca; and the more familiar dark mole flavored with chocolate and sesame), along with giant shrimp and sea bass prepared in a dozen variations, or El Agave's signature beef filet with goat cheese and dark tequila sauce. On the other hand, I could almost make a meal out of the warm watercress salad dressed with onions and bacon, folded into tortillas. Lunches are simpler affairs without the exotic sauces, and inexpensive.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant suggestion please

Just to clarify the location of your hotel - it is right in Little Italy, near all the restaurants there, including one of my favorites, Buon Appetito (as previously recommended)- a couple blocks away. It's about a mile or so to the Fish Market and Top of the market - but an easy walk. Also as previously mentioned, Bertrand at Mr. A's is a fabulous location, but it's a good two miles from your hotel, but would be a very easy cab ride.

A couple recommendations for the Gaslamp, which is also an easy walk - about a mile - from your hotel - or a short trolley (light rail) ride. - Blue Point Coastal Cuisine is a rather romantic restaurant- excellent seafood and martini's, I love eating at Croce's at a sidewalk table; I've heard great things about Chive and Oceanaire, but haven't tried either yet.

If you like dessert - just a couple blocks from your hotel is the wonderful "Extraordinary Desserts"

boston
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant suggestion please

I have to reply to this posting as I just returned from San Diego on Saturday (2/4). Depending on how serious you are about fish - I would NOT recommend The Fish Market. I live in Massachusetts and read the reveiws from these postings regarding The Fish Market. I was VERY disappointed. My husband got the fish and chips, a friend got the grilled swordfish - both were very dry and tasteless. The service was terrible and this was a Tuesday night visit. I would never send anyone to this place. A recommendation I would make for a nice dinner is Dussini in the Gaslamp District (I believe it is on 5th St.) The food is outstanding, the setting is fun, up beat and cozy - I got the lobster mac & cheese and was VERY happy. Good luck and enjoy.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant suggestion please

I'm sorry to hear that, Annabelle. I've eaten at the Fish Market many times and have never had a bad meal. I often take friends and family there when they visit, and everyone has always loved it. I'm amazed that you had poor food there; I eat a lot of seafood when I travel, and have not found any much better. I'm sorry your visit there was not enjoyable.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant suggestion please

Chissis wrote this

Posted on: 10:30 pm, Feb 06, 2006 Report inappropriate post

"I'm sorry to hear that, Annabelle. I've eaten at the Fish Market many times and have never had a bad meal. I often take friends and family there when they visit, and everyone has always loved it. I'm amazed that you had poor food there; I eat a lot of seafood when I travel, and have not found any much better. I'm sorry your visit there was not enjoyable."

I just wanted to say that I agree. I've eaten there a few times (no means a regular) and so far I've been very pleased. I worked for the owner of a several seafood restaurants for 9 yrs and I'm pretty particular. I'm feel sorry that you had a bad meal. It happens at every restaurant but none of us want to be the one it happens to!

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant suggestion please

I've been to the Fish Market and Top of the Market a few times, mostly because someone else has chosen it. Unfortunatly I don't think it's that great for food (and especially service) either. Not bad, but nothing special. Not what I'd consider romantic at all. Better for lunch with a view.

However it's all so subjective and that's just my opinion.

Check out www.signonsandiego.com under Entertainment and you can search for restaurants by location, type of food etc. Many with reviws and links to the reataurants' websites. Enjoy your visit and come back and post your own restaurant review!

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,670 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant suggestion please

Everything depends on perspective....Annabelle comes from Massachusettes which is home to numerous outstanding seafood restaurants (i.e. cold water lobster that actually has claws; shrimp--where the kitchen actually cleans the center and chops off the veins on the sides) and there is a definite difference between East coast seafood and West Coast seafood....the types of fish on the West Coast are definitely different than what you will find in MA....it's like someone trying to compare Greystone steak to that with Peter Luger's--Greystone is not going to win 1 time in 10000 tries. Depends on what you are used to.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant suggestion please

I would tend to agree with the last person. I happen to like the Fish Market, but I still think San Diego doesn't have really outstanding seafood restaurants like some other major U.S. Cities (ie, san francisco, boston, etc.)

Yoda, we ate at Po Pazzo the other night and enjoyed it. You might want to do some research on it, as it's fairly close to your hotel.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,173 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant suggestion please

Posted on: 2:33 am, yesterday Report inappropriate post

"I would tend to agree with the last person. I happen to like the Fish Market, but I still think San Diego doesn't have really outstanding seafood restaurants like some other major U.S. Cities (ie, san francisco, boston, etc.)

Yoda, we ate at Po Pazzo the other night and enjoyed it. You might want to do some research on it, as it's fairly close to your hotel."

I thought of Po Pazzo as well for a dinner out not the 'nice/romantic' anniversary dinner though. The food is very good. Every time I've been there, except for the night I took my mom at 5:30, it has been very crowded, noisy, lively. Not bad things when you're in the mood. What day of the week and what time were you there? Just curious as to how it was when you were there.