We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far to San Diego from Anaheim?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
How far to San Diego from Anaheim?

Trying to decide whethor to do a day trip to San Diego from Disney land or to stay a few nights? How far is it by car?

Any suggestions on hotels would be great. On a budget, would like to be close to the beach, but have a rental so could drive there. Have 3 small kids..any info would be great.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
1,904 posts
1 review
1. Re: How far to San Diego from Anaheim?

It's 95 miles, probably just short of 2 hours driving on Hwy 5.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: How far to San Diego from Anaheim?

I would stay a few nights..After sensory overload at Disneyland,the kid's will not enjoy a 4 hr RT drive..There is so much to do in San Diego..I would pick an attraction for one day(Zoo,Sea World,Wild Animal Park,Legoland},and one day I would explore.. Coronado Beach,Seaport Village,Cabrillo,Ride up scenic 101 and check out Torrey Pines..What is your dollar limit for a Hotel??

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: How far to San Diego from Anaheim?

Even though the distance is around 100 miles, the traffic congestion rarely allows you to get from San Diego to Disneyland in less than two hours. A more resonable time is around 3 hours or more, unless you're really lucky to hit no traffic, which is almost impossible these days. That being said, I think a few days in San Diego would be in order, rather than a day trip.

As previously mentioned, there the zoo, Seaworld, Legoland (depending on the age of your kids, this is very popular for under 10). You might enjoy the Catamaran Hotel in Pacific Beach, nice area, and very safe for children, lots to do nearby, reasonably priced and pretty well reviewed.

Here's some more information for San Diego with kids:

…about.com/cs/sandiego/a/sdkids.htm

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
4. Re: How far to San Diego from Anaheim?

Thanks for the input. We've decided to spend 2 nights at the beginning of our trip in San Diego and then double back to Anaheim! I think I've found a hotel in the Mission Valley area. How much time would you need at Lego Land? Our kids are 2, 4, and 8.

Thanks again!