We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single mother relocating to london to san diego/poway

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
4 posts
Save Topic
single mother relocating to london to san diego/poway

I am a black single mother of 4 boys - ages 14,10,3 &2. I would like to relocate to San Diego but my main concern is for my children - i have had mixed reports about Poway such as its not bad - its not great. Can someone be objective and let me know whether it is a least relatively safe for my children. I know that there is not anywhere in the world which is 100% crime free but I would like to live where there is a minimal crime rate...In London at the moment I am very scared at times.

Please help.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: single mother relocating to london to san diego/poway

PabloSanDiego

As a matter of fact, I don’t consider PB to be a diverse community whatsoever. Nor do I think Poway or Downtown is diverse. If you see people that tend to look the same, dress the same, think the same, like the same things; you are truly stuck in one neighborhood.

Being raised in Miami, serving 30 years in the military and traveling to 30+ countries; I still believe that San Diego has one of the most diverse communities in the world. Yes, I’ve been to San Fran, New York, and London and I agree those cities are also diverse.

If you really want to witness culture diversity, I suggest you take a drive on University Ave. from one end to the other. The neighborhoods and cultures change constantly. Also, take a stroll on any community college campus or visit any Adult Education center. The Adult Education centers currently have students from 60+ countries enrolled. Linda Vista, Mira Mesa, and the Convoy area are all very diverse.

Nope, I did not think of it as a slam; maybe I just get around town more.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
433 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: single mother relocating to london to san diego/poway

OK, I stand corrected on PB. To be honest, I rarely go there. And I agree that a lot of races and cultures are represented in San Diego, it just is more segregated here. And I agree that during my normal week I don't get out that much. I live downtown in the Marina which is 99% caucasian. My condo has over 200 units and I will honestly say I do not believe there is a single black family in here since Lamont ewell (our ex-City manager) moved out a few months ago.

Here's a theory (not mine, I heard this somewhere but I agree). SD is a car commuters city. So for many of us, we live in segregated neighborhodds, jump in our cars and maybe pass thru other neighborhoods (but often do not), go to our jobs (I work in Defense contracting another industry with a very low minority reporeentation), then drive home and hang out in restaurants and clubs that tend to be segregated.

However, in cities like SF or NYC, everyone uses public transportation and at least that is the Great Mixer. People are forced to mix and I think (my opinion) that leads to a richer and more interesting experience.

Just one more thing. If the original poster was say from middle America I might say SD is more diverse than what you're used to. But she's from London, and there is absolutely no way SD is in the same league as London as far as diversity, it's not even close.

BTW, for reference I travel a lot for work since I do IT work all over the world and get to see a lot of places and my wife and I have never had kids so we've traveled a lot. Also, I'm Asian-American myself so maybe I'm just a little more sensitive to this topic.

Anyway, this is great discussion and I appreciate the different points of view.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: single mother relocating to london to san diego/poway

I tend to agree with you theory (whoever said it). My wife is Japanese and I would have no problem living anywhere in the county. As an educator, sensitivity to cultural diversity is foremost. I’m not trying to discount your opinion whatsoever, just giving my thoughts as I experience them.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: single mother relocating to london to san diego/poway

In my opinon, San Diego is diverse, but segeregated. According to City Data (http://www.city-data.com/city/California.html)the current makeup of San Diego is:

* White Non-Hispanic (49.4%)

* Hispanic (25.4%)

* Other race (12.4%)

* Black (7.9%)

* Filipino (6.1%)

* Two or more races (4.8%)

* Vietnamese (2.2%)

* Chinese (1.9%)

* Other Asian (1.5%)

* American Indian (1.3%)

* Japanese (0.8%)

* Korean (0.6%)

* Asian Indian (0.6%)

Not bad when you consider those numbers, but the problem is that everyone is segregated. The same goes with S.F. There is china town, japan town, etc. Just because you have a lot of different cultures does not necesarily mean you are diverse.

London
4 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: single mother relocating to london to san diego/poway

Thanks again for yr help.

I look forward to my new adventure with my children, it sounds as though San Diego is a great place.

I will be travelling in April for a test run.

new york
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: single mother relocating to london to san diego/poway

Good Luck to you

London
4 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: single mother relocating to london to san diego/poway

Thank you. It's really strange because here in London I work as an Accounts Assistant which can be mundane and routine. Then I decided that I needed to do something different with my life and decided to study in the USA. Now I have this exciting adventure ahead I am actually petrified, I have thought of every possible scenario as to why I should not relocate to San Diego. Are there any websites that can offer advice on relocating to the US and has anyone out there made such a bold move. Am I selfish moving my children to a totally new way of life. Should I expect a lot or be very wary that it should go badly? My mind is going over time!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: single mother relocating to london to san diego/poway

Moving on to new things in your life is always a little scary. One of the things I do now in retirement is to help students from all over hte world who come here to San Diego to study English. I have found many people would like to be able to find a way to stay here permanently. You have the ability and the oportunity to do something that many people would love to do but cannot.Tell yourself that if you hate it you can always return to your previous home but since you have this wonderful adventure ahead of you try to embrace it ! Keep writing if you need any other help.