We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What does an English family do in San Diego

Oundle...
5 posts
Save Topic
What does an English family do in San Diego

Hi any help would be really appreciated.

This year we have decided to take our two week August vacation in and around San Diego. We've never been to the West Coast before and know next to nothing about the area.

The family includes my wife and two boys of thirteen and eleven. Both are sports mad and like fishing, surfing (in the cold British sea) but are also quite happy on the beach for a few days.

I know there is Ocean World and I shall be looking on the net to see what else there is.

Can anyone recommend a mid-priced hotel on the coast ideally walking distance to the sea and if you have kids what else we should be looking at or doing.

Sorry this is so vague The Chargers and Ocean World is my limited knowledge of your city!!!

Thanks for any help

Ian

Los Angeles, CA
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What does an English family do in San Diego

You can go to the San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park, you can scuba dive or snorkel in La Jolla, there's kayaking and horseback riding in and around the San Diego area...And there's also historical places like the Mission San Diego de Alcala and the Mission San Luis Rey; and the cute little mining town of Julian. Too bad you won't be here for whale watching season or for the county fair though, those are always fun. I think there's also San Diego harbor tours you can cruise around that way as well. Hope this is of some help! Have a great trip.

Colchester UK
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What does an English family do in San Diego

Hi

I was in San Diego a few years ago and pulled into a gas station to fill up. The gas station in question was run by a gentleman from the Indian Sub-Continent and as soon as he heard my accent he asked me what I was doing that afternoon and would I be interested in a game of cricket! Only in America! As you are sports mad who knows whilst you're in San Diego you may come across the same gentleman. Other than that, definitely go to Sea World and San Diego Zoo, you won't be disappointed. Check the internet for hotels in San Diego there are plenty to suit all pockets and tastes or check the reviews on TA.

Enjoy.

Tony

Long Beach
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What does an English family do in San Diego

A drive up to La Jolla to walk along the ocean by the cove area is really nice. There are pretty little restaurants in town and art galleries. Lots of seals for the kids to watch by the cove. There's a cave entrance in a shell shop that the kids would enjoy.

THere's the lighthouse at Point Loma. Views are stunning, and it's fun to go up the lighthouse stairway, although not for the claustrophobic.

Old Town for Mexican food, strolling, seeing some of the old history of California. This is a very festive place on weekends. The waits at the restaurants can be very long, though.

Don't forget Coronado Island. Another scenic drive over the bridge. The Hotel del Coronado is a must-see.

I like the Marriotts. THere's one on Coronado and one at the main Harbor area. The harbor area one by the Marina is very child-friendly with activities for children.

Have fun!! San Diego is one of my favorite places.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What does an English family do in San Diego

Drive out to Coronado Island, just over the bridge from San Diego proper. Gorgeous beach. There's a lovely old hotel there, the Del Coronado, which is right on the beach, but there are other smaller ones around the town of Coronado.

The Gaslight district in San Diego is nice to visit, interesting shops and restaurants. If you want to take them to a baseball game, SD has a nice, brand new one. Sea World and the Sand Diego Zoo are both great.

Since you have two weeks, might I make a suggestion? You may want to consider spending a week in the San Diego area and a week in the Los Angeles area. LA is about a 2 hour drive north of San Diego. This way, you'd get the best of both worlds. Your boys would love Disneyland and California Adventure, which are right next to each other in Anaheim, which is nearer LA. Figure on one day in each park. Universal Studios is also fun.

Alternatively, there are some lovely beach towns about halfway between LA and San Diego, which you could make your base of operations. Laguna Beach is nice--beautiful little town, lots of nice shops and restaurants, great beach. Dana Point is also great.

Enjoy!

Oundle...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What does an English family do in San Diego

Wow, thanks very much that is just the knid of information I needed.

Although we get to see Baseball on the TV over here its now live games only and with the time difference here in the UK it means that this starts around 1.00am!!! I've started watching many matches but don't think I've managed to stay awake to see one completed!!!

I shall start investigating all these options on the net.

Once again many thanks to you all

Ian

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What does an English family do in San Diego

I agree with Happy Traveler. Both of the Marriotts either the one next to Seaport Village or the one in Coronado Island are really good hotels and we have stayed in both of them-They are either the San Diego Marriott and Marina or the Marriott Coronado Island. We've stayed at the Coronado Marriott about 4 times now.

I also just wanted to mention regarding the Marriotts, sometimes they do have deals with the room rate, including free breakfast for 2, kids eat free, in-house movie, free parking and free water taxi. The SD Marriott and Marina is right next to Seaport Village, harbor cruises, and close to the Gaslamp Quarter. The Coronado Island Marriott gives you wonderful views of the San Diego Coastline, and there is a water taxi and/or ferry next to it that takes you across the bay, where the SD Marriott and Marina is located. Both of the pools in these 2 hotels are very nice, and I'm sure your kids would love swimming there during the summer. August is a nice time to go.

There are a lot of things for families to do in San Diego. Go to Cabrillo National Park and Pt Loma Lighthouse for great views of the coastline, Seaworld, Balboa Park/San Diego Zoo, Old Town and Bazaar Del Mundo, if you get a chance go to the SD Wild Animal Park, and for beaches, there are Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, La Jolla, Del Mar, and the beaches in Coronado Island are very nice-especially the beach next to the Hotel Del Coronado, which is a white sand type of beach. The Hotel Del is right on the beach, but if you do get a room here, reserve a room at the newer tower. The older hotel is historical, but the rooms are small.

Have a great time!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,161 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What does an English family do in San Diego

In addition to everything else at the coast ,if you drive about a half hour east you are in mountains- the town of Julian has an old gold mine you can go into , and beyond the mountains another half hour takes you to the desert. I know it will be summer but if the family has never experienced a desert it might be interesting.Borrego Springs is the name of the desert town in the county of San Diego. Have a great visit.

Oundle...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What does an English family do in San Diego

Thanks everyone for the information.

Slight change of plans!!!!!

Going to fly to Phoenix, pick up RV and spend 4-5 days driving up to Grand Canon and then across and down to San Diego. Guess that will be some miles but at your prices for petrol sorry gas that won't be too bad. Leave RV in San Diego and spend next 7 days on the beach before driving up to LA with a couple of stop overs.

Thanks once again, we're really looking forward to it.

San Diego, Ca
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What does an English family do in San Diego

Would you like to swim with sharks? Harmless leopard sharks, that is... Usually in August, the sharks come in to feed in the shallow water at the south end of La Jolla Shores beach. Some days there are only a few, other times there are so many that you can see them in the cresting waves. You can rent snorkelling gear, or a kayak at shops nearby. Even if you're not into hanging with the fishes, La Jolla Shores is a really nice family beach.

Oundle...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What does an English family do in San Diego

Thanks DC

Can't see my wife being too keen!!! the boys will be a different story though, wow what a story to tell the friends when they get back. That's another day out sorted.

Ian