We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must Do Things In San Diego

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
669 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Must Do Things In San Diego

I will be traveling to San Diego to conduct a day of training the second week of June. My husband and a few others are joining me. We are staying in Mission Valley. Our free time will be Friday-Monday (mid day), is there anything that we just shouldn't miss while there.

We have been there before, although its been several years. We are not traveling with small children. Its 4 adults. We have done the zoo, sea world and that type of thing before, so I would like to see something else. We also would love a beach day (suggestion on the best beach, with easy access to restaurants, etc?). I

I love taking pictures of things so something scenic would be nice. Any suggestions please let me know. Also are there any must eat at restaurnts there. Not worried about prices, if its worth it to eat there then I don't want to miss it.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,350 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must Do Things In San Diego

It's a big city so will you guys have a car??

Have you gone to Balboa Park to its gardens/small museums,live theater etc?

Have you gone to Cabrillo National Monument?

Have you visited the ships in the harbor?(USS Midway,Star of India)

Have you visited La Jolla Cove/La JOlla Shores beach,the Torrey Pines gliderport or Torrey Pines State Park?

I don't know your interests so cannot tell you what you shouldn't miss.

There are restaurants of all types of cuisine so what do you like?

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must Do Things In San Diego

As MS TA points out you have avoided giving information that would help people help you. As to your beach visit.... June is typically cloudy along the coast until early afternoon. Even 5 miles inland makes all the difference. Plan something else in the morning then after lunch hit the sand. La Jolla shores are nice and if I worked for the big corps I'd say go there. But if you want to be able to wander off the sand for a beer or an ice cream then north Mission or PB might be a better choice. If you have a car, Coronado has the nicest beaches.

Atlanta
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Must Do Things In San Diego

You absolutely should take a Hornblower dinner cruise on the bay. That is wonderful. Also there is the Star of India restaurant that is actually on a boat. All of this is located on Harbour Drive heading downtown. You are about 15 minutes away on the highway from Mission Valley. While you are on Harbour drive you could also go to Seaport Village. Lovely bayfront restaurants. Edwater grill has seats overlooking the bay and it is GREAT food!! Reasonably priced and really cute to sit and talk on the water. Once your full you can take a free boat over to Coronado Island. Stop in the Hotel Del Coronado on the upper deck on the ocean and have drinks in the cabana lounge and watch the sun set.

OR

You must go to downtown LaJolla by the ocean and walk to Seal Beach. This is the most picturesque area. Reminds you of the south of France. It is wonderful to spend the day there and there are loads of eateries. If you want a suggestion that is super picturesque eat at the Crab Catcher in LaJolla and sit outside. It overlooks the ocean and it is spectacular.

OR

You can take a lovely drive up the 101. Start at Torry Pines State park ..that view is something that is inexplicable, then move north to Del Mar a quaint villiage with great little restaurants and a wonderful state park and beach all in one!! From there keep north up the 101 until you get to Cardif by the Sea, a picturesque seaside village with colorful homes and a great Seaside market!!

OR

You can go to Old Town and walk around the oldest town in California. This town has a coffee shop in there that serves the BEST Mexican Chocolate coffee!!! Also there is a great Wine Cabana restaurant across the street with sultry music and great Sangrias! If you want something more Beerish then check out the Rock'n Lobster behind the Wine Cabana. Always lively and good people. They serve Lobster Tacos. I am not a Taco fan but these are really good.

Or

Pacific Beach is loads of fund and Mission Beach is BEAUIFUL , you have the Bay on one sid eand the Beach on teh other. So much fun. Tons of restaurants and little eclectic shops. You can bike, skate do whatever you want and you can take this stretch of boardwalk from Pacific Beach to Mission Beach which has a rollacoster right on the beach!! Also if you want to rent a house on the beach for the weekend you can and really enjoy yourselves. Often there are last minute rentals. There is also a place on the boardwalk that has little cottages that are on the boadwalk that leads about 1 mile out to sea so you are sleeping right over the sea. I can't remember the name but you can look up cottages by the sea.

Also if you go north to Carlsbad you can see the FLOWER FIELDS and across the street is a crazy OUTLET MALL. Look for festivals when you come. These go on all year and they will make your stay even more fun.

I hope this helps.

vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
4,905 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must Do Things In San Diego

i can share with you what we usually enjoy doing while in san diego because we have also done the regular touristy sights like the zoo and sea world.

we especially love:

1. balboa park with all the museums

2. little italy for a great lunch/dinner

3. oceanside thursday night farmers market

4. solana beach for their funky shops

5. carlsbad for premium outlet shopping

6. del mar beach and lunch at jakes

7. la jolla caves and sea kayaking

8. surfing at carlsbad beach

9. del mar race track

10. mini golf in del mar, across from the race track.

11. stay at the grand del mar resort and enjoy their property and the pools !

we love san diego and it has to be one of the BEST cities to visit and to live !

enjoy

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,902 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must Do Things In San Diego

Let me be sexist here..... I would send the men to tour the USS Midway (retired aircraft carrier) while the ladies visit Seaport Village for shopping and then meet at Top of the Market for lunch.

For beach with places to eat, I'd probably go to Pacific Beach, it is a bit of a younger crown, but fun.

Little Italy is fun to visit, it has several good Italian places and some nice non Italian.

Old Town is fun too, in June you might look at Casa de Reyes or Barra Barra for nice outdoor dining, Coyote Cafe is good too, so is Pacifica Mexican Seafood, Zocalo and El Agave for upscale Mexican.

A harbor cruise might be fun, but I wouldn't do a dinner cruise, there are too many better places to eat in SD.

Scenic pictures I'd go to Mr. A's to get some great pics of the city. La Jolla, Coronado and Balboa Park are scenic in an urban way.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
669 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must Do Things In San Diego

Thanks everyone. For me not providing "enough" information to go on, some of you gave me tons of ideas on things to do. So thank you.

7. Re: Must Do Things In San Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 21, 2010