We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekly Rate Hotels near Mission Valley or Balboa Park

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Weekly Rate Hotels near Mission Valley or Balboa Park

Looking for a lodging for the week after Easter 2011. Have meetings at the Mission Valley Marriott so want to be within short driving distance. Looking for someplace that gives a weekly rate, has a refrigerator & microwave, clean, safe neighborhood, but does not need to be fancy/upscale.

Any recommendations ?

I see that there are several lodgings along El Cajon Blvd that is a short drive. What type of neighboorhood is that ?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,185 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekly Rate Hotels near Mission Valley or Balboa Park

El Cajon Boulevard is very old; before Interstate 8 was built, El Cajon Boulevard and Old Highway 80 were the main road into San Diego from the east. There are a lot of very old motels along El Cajon Boulevard, but I'm sorry to say that those are used now mainly for questionable purposes. There is really nothing to interest visitors or tourists along El Cajon Boulevard either. There is a larger hotel there (Lafayette) which has been there since the 1940s and was once a glamour spot (Bob Hope was the first official guest). However that has had poor reviews on this and other sites. Just recently the owner of the Lafayette announced that a major and costly overhaul of it would begin soon, so I would not stay there until that ovehaul is complete. It is not well-located for you to attend your meetings at the Marriott anyway. I'm wondering, why can't you just stay at the Marriott, where the meetings are? Another hotel not far from the Marriott is the Doubletree, and you could ride the San Diego Trolley from one to the other, though I think you would have to get off the trolley and walk a block or two to the Marriott. (The Doubletree is right across a minor street from the trolley station). There are many other choices for places to stay in Mission Valley; most of them are clustered on Hotel Circle North and Hotel Circle South. Any hotel that is in Mission Valley would be a short drive to the Marriott, maybe 20 minutes at most if there is a lot of traffic, probably less.

Edited: 11:09 am, May 13, 2010
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekly Rate Hotels near Mission Valley or Balboa Park

I agree with everything that bw has said! It is much tooooo early to book a hotel for April 2011!

Rate specials will not be out until winter 2010.

If you will have a car then there are lots of inexpensive motels in Mission Valley like LaQuinta/Mission Valley or Days Hotel.

I don't think any of them have weekly rates but they may have specials, like stay 3 days get one free etc.

Florida
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekly Rate Hotels near Mission Valley or Balboa Park

Thanks for the info - yes, I want to make sure we're not staying in a "questionable area" .

Reason we're not staying at the Marriott - budget - the conference rate is quite high, and we'll have a rental car anyway.

Many, many years ago, we rented an efficiency (in La Mesa) for a couple of weeks. We saved quite a bit with a weekly rate and had our little kitchen for breakfast. I realize things have changed from 20 years ago, and neighborhoods often decline.

I see there is a Homestead Studio in Mission Valley.

San Diego (Ocean...
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekly Rate Hotels near Mission Valley or Balboa Park

There is an extended stay in Mission Valley:

extendedstayamerica.com/property/Extended-St…

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekly Rate Hotels near Mission Valley or Balboa Park

You could look for an apt./condo rental for one week.

Try www.vrbo.com vacation rentals by owner

Neighborhoods that would be convenient by car include:

Hillcrest,Mission Hills, Old Town,Mission Valley etc.

6. Re: Weekly Rate Hotels near Mission Valley or Balboa Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 10, 2010