We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HOTEL - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay OR Westin?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Livermore...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
HOTEL - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay OR Westin?

My husband and I are planning a family trip with our daughter who will be 11 months old when we go March 26-29 (3 night trip).

Any hotel suggestions? We are thinking about the Hyatt or Westin. Some of it is covered by c/c rewards.

Close to Mission Beach?

Zoo?

Sea World?

Trying to see what we should do. Thanks!

San Diego,Ca.
Level Contributor
6,914 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HOTEL - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay OR Westin?

BOTH Westins are in downtown San Diego.

The Hyatt Mission Bay is in an area where there are lots of open space, parks, bike paths, sail boats, roller blading, joggers, ect.

Do you want an urban/downtown enviornment(Westins) or a water sports, parks, open, less urban enviorment(Hyatt Mission Bay)?

Will you have a car?

Mission Bay is 1 mile away from Sea World, 1 mile away from Mission Beach, and about 7 miles away from the Zoo/Balboa Park.

There are places to eat in Mission Bay, Mission Beach, and Pacific Beach which are all within 2 miles of the Hyatt Mission Bay.

There are more places to eat within walking distance to the Westins as these hotels are in a densley populated area.

The Hyatt(tower rooms) have balconys.

Have a good trip.

Edited: 7:42 pm, February 27, 2010
Livermore...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HOTEL - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay OR Westin?

Yes, we will have a car! Thank you! This helps out! We are interested in Sea World and/or the Zoo and parks but gotta love Gaslamp too if we want to walk around. Definitely want to go to Mission Beach!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HOTEL - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay OR Westin?

If you stay at the Hyatt, make sure you stay in either a tower or marina suite rooms, they are real nice. Under no circumstances let them put you in their bay view rooms. The bay view rooms are nothing but their old 1960 circa rooms that have been redone several times over the years but are still substandard. The Hyatt has a new pool area that is great.

Chicago
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HOTEL - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay OR Westin?

fatjack1 -

I am also looking at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay, and keep hearing to book a tower or marina room, and NOT the bay view but on the Hyatt website they have the regular guest rooms, or "deluxe view", 'corner suite" or "waterfront suites"...I'm not sure which one would be a bay view vs marina??

Any help is appreciated!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HOTEL - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay OR Westin?

I think that the one type of room to avoid is what they call the "Bay View". Find out for sure by calling them at (619)224-1234 and talk to someone from the front desk. I would get the person's name and really pen them down.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HOTEL - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay OR Westin?

From the Hyatt, you can walk to Sea World and Mission Beach...so not a bad choice.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,806 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HOTEL - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay OR Westin?

I would look at the Manchester Hyatt, not the Hyatt Mission Bay and the Westin Horton Plaza over the Westin Emerald Plaza.

The Manchester Hyatt is on the bay across from Coronado and in downtown walkable to the Gaslamp and the trolley to Old Town or Little Italy and while technically you COULD walk from the Hyatt Mission Bay to Sea World I never would, too dangerous with traffic and a baby.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HOTEL - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay OR Westin?

The Deluxe rooms are the tower rooms, I have just booked a 6 days stay.

You can't see it until after you have booked it.

At first I had booked a standard room, but realised the confirmation said Bay1 or Bay2. Then I changed it to Deluxe and now I can see I am booked to a tower room.

If you read the reviews there is a clear patten. They also use the Bay rooms for the priceline and other lowprice internet sites.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: HOTEL - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay OR Westin?

By the way the Hyatt should have a watertaxi for 3$ return that leaves for Seaworld during summer, then you get to a private entrance in the back -

We are looking forward to that, as it sounds kind of cool to get there by boat

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HOTEL - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay OR Westin?

"while technically you COULD walk from the Hyatt Mission Bay to Sea World I never would, too dangerous with traffic and a baby."

You can walk under the bridge on a secure sidewalk in Mission Bay, all the way around to a crosswalk at Ingraham Street...then into Sea World park. I would never suggest anything dangerous to any family.

But the boat sounds more fun anyway.