We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cali for the first time ever!!!!!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Topic
Cali for the first time ever!!!!!

Ok, So on thursday of next week, i am going to San diego for the first time ever....

I would like to know a few things, please!!!

What is the weather like there at this time of year?

Is it still beach weather?

What are the best night spots/restruants?

How far is mexico?

Is it easy to get to Mexico?

We are staying at the Hosendia (spelled that wrong, but spelled it how it sounds) is it a nice hotel?

If you could help me out that would be amazing!!! Thank you!!!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cali for the first time ever!!!!!

Hi Smarks - Welcome to San Diego. The weather right now is mid 70's, sunny and blue skies. We could have rain next week, but don't fret, it won't last long or make it much colder. You can definitely go to the beach for sun and sand, but the water isn't exactly swimming temperature - too chilly. Sounds like you're staying at the Hacienda in Old Town, a nice hotel - great views, great location in a fun area of San Diego. http://gothere.com/sandiego/oldtown/

A couple miles south of Old Town is downtown, Little Italy, and the Gaslamp District - lots of night spots and great restaurants. We don't have anything to compare to the great subway system of New York (I LOVE it!!) but we do have a trolley (train) that runs between Old Town and downtown/Gaslamp, so you could take public transportation to the Gaslamp for food and fun and not have to worry about driving www.gaslamp.org. There are also some good restaurants in Old Town too.

Mexico is about 20 miles south of San Diego, it's easy to get there on the trolley, it stops at the border and you can get a cab on the other side. That's the best way to go, as you can't drive rental cars into Mexico, and I wouldn't recommend it if you could.

Hope this gets you started, please post back with further questions. Have a great trip!!

San Diego Calif
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cali for the first time ever!!!!!

smarks101

New York, well if you want to know some hot spots let me know.

DT

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cali for the first time ever!!!!!

I am from NY..I had wanted to go to Cali all my youth..And then when that Led Zeppelin song came out,Goin to California, it sealed it..It is truly an Experience..The surfers are in the ocean year round,but you will need a full wetsuit,and if you are like me,also booties and a hood..Nontheless,the ocean is always beautiful..TJ is fun..Just cross at the right time or you will feel like you are back in NYC rush hour traffic..You can take the trolley South and then walk or take a bus across...If you are in your 20's party in Pacific Beach..If you are my age,party in the Gaslamp...

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cali for the first time ever!!!!!

I am from NY..I can recall as a youth,always wanting to go to Cali..Then when that Zeppelin song came out,Goin to California,it was on..It is an Experience..The surfers are in the water year round..You will need a full wetsuit though,and if you are like me booties and a hood as well..Nontheless,the ocean is primo..If you are in your 20's the place to party is Pacific Beach..If you are my age, the place to be is the Gaslamp..TJ is fun..Unless you are waiting in line to cross..Go at the right time...

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cali for the first time ever!!!!!

Sorry..Is there a echo in here??

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cali for the first time ever!!!!!

DONTONY

Yeah def, were young early 20's looking for anything and everything there is to do, either hot clubs, hot restruants or even the bese beaches..... were staying at the hosendia.......

San Diego Calif
Level Contributor
2,702 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cali for the first time ever!!!!!

Here are my picks,

These are the places for a serious party, very sheik, great place for Dancing between this one and The Broadway are were the celebrities and mover and shakers go.

New York style

The Broadway Club 615 Broadway, San Diego, 92101 - (619) 231-0011

W Hotel in San Diego

421 West B Street : San Diego, California 92101 : Phone (619) 231-8220 : Fax (619) 231-5779

Both of these Clubs are high end and have out of town Top DJ's from all over.

There are several clubs and venues around the Gas Lamp, just depends on your style.

Tijuana Mexico is fun and different, like what was said, take the Trolley, walk across there will be a ton of Taxis to drive you into "Revolution ave" this is really the only place for some fun buying, anything from leather goods to Jewelry (Silver)& Perfume, make sure the pieces are stamped 999 and Yes!!! haggle the price.

Stop over at Senior Frogs for some Cocktails while your there.

Restaurants in the Gas Lamp district, For seafood, "Blue Point" I love this place, go to the bar and get a couple of Lemon Drops Martinis before dinner.

If you into some rowdy fun and very good food the only place for this is "Dicks Last Resort" live band & dancing later in the evening and all the servers get down and get raunchy with the guest.

Let me know what specifically what your looking for and I'll Taylor a "Insiders list" for you. via your personal e-mail address.

DT

Albany, NY
Level Contributor
36 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cali for the first time ever!!!!!

DT:

Thanks for the inside scoop on a some of the clubs! Could you please send me some other good bars/resturants to check out?

We'll be in SD the first week of December, staying at the Super 8 in Little Italy (at the advice of this forum!) We'll have a rental car the whole week.

We don't like seafood and expensive places; we like beer and music! "Dicks Last Resort" sounds good, and I noted a couple other places to eat in Little Italy.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

hchilds@nycap.rr.com

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cali for the first time ever!!!!!

I worked at the Old Town Hacienda Hotel many a moon ago. It is a pleasant hotel with nice amenities.

Check out Old Town Mexican Cafe. They will have the best Mexican food in town---worth the long wait... but, don't worry, you can drink and eat chips and salsa to your hearts delight. The rest of the old town restaurants were recently closed and reopened with new owners (long story) so I can't comment on them yet.

You may also have a good time at O'Hungrys on the corner of Old Town Avenue and by the Catholic Church. They have "yards" of beer- and great fun/music.

Have fun!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
470 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cali for the first time ever!!!!!

DT,

Hey thanks alot... for all the info.... just like my post said, were looking for all the fun, hip trendy spots....

All of SD and mexico (TJ) would be awesome!!!

We get there on thurs at 11am, and dont leave till monday night!

What ever you can provide me would be awesome... YOu can reach me at sean.marks@apollogrp.edu....

THanks in advance!

Sean