We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help

Federal Way, WA
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel help

I've scoured this forum for help choosing a hotel and there are great suggestions but with mixed reviews on hotels I need personalized help!

I'm looking at 3 or 4 nights the week after Christmas for my family of 6. Dad wants to relax and play golf, boys (13, 11 and 8) want a great swimming pool, Mom and 17 yr. daughter are flexible but some close shopping would be nice. We usually stay at Residence Inn type but want a step up from that. We'd like to stay near the beach and will go to SeaWorld one day. If there is a great resort not too far from Sea World, we would give up the beach view idea. We often get two rooms so we can all fit or a suite. Thank you in advance for your input!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel help

One near the beach that comes to mind is the Pacific Terrace in Pacific Beach, well reviewed on this site, and I've had friends stay there who loved it. Another, also right on the beach is the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club, in La Jolla shores; also it's "sister" hotel, sharing the same beach, Inn at La Jolla Shores. The Beach & Tennis club is the nicer of those two.

A couple not on the beach, but on or near the water of Mission Bay and close to seaworld are the Catamaran and the Dana. None of these are particularly close to shopping, except for some shops in Pacific Beach. Most of our shopping is downtown, or in Mission Valley, and I never recommend staying in Mission Valley, too many cars, too much congestion.

I don't know how familiar you are with San Diego, but even downtown is only about 8 miles (and a very easy drive) to Seaworld. Downtown is San Diego Bay, shopping, restaurants, and many really nice hotels. If none of the above fit your needs, you might look at the Gaslamp Plaza Suites or the Embassy Suites downtown. Hope this helps - if you want us to help you narrow down your choices after looking at these areas, please let us know.