We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park

Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park

Hi

Should we go to the Zoo or the Wild Animal Park? We are coming from Australia and have not been to either (2 adults 2 kids 10 & 8 yrs)

Any thoughts?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park

Hi Ouisel, Both are great, but I think with your kids' ages, they would probably enjoy the Wild Animal Park more, it's kind of a "safari" feel, and you get to see animals in a more natural environment. I love the zoo, but if you have the time to spend an entire day, I would definitely recommend the adventure of the Wild Animal Park.

St. John
Level Contributor
569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park

Choosing between the two with the ages, would also pick the Wild Animal Park. And if you have time, I bet they would LOVE Seaworld, if it's not already on your agenda. It's a great adventure, too.

San Diego, CA
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park

I agree that the Wild Animal Park would be better. Both are nice, however I've seen both the Sydney zoo and San Diego zoo and would say the Wild Animal Park would give you something very different. Balboa Park which is where the zoo is located, however is extremely nice to visit if you like different museums.

Las Vegas...
Level Contributor
665 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park

Add another vote for the Wild Animal Park.

Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park

Thanks for your ideas. I have another friend who recommends the Zoo so now I don't know what to do?!?!?!

Maybe we will have to do both!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park

I love the zoo, they have a great bus tour you can take around the zoo; and then you can take other buses and hop on and off at various areas. The zoo is also a certified botanical garden (has more plant species than animals, actually) so is great if you're a plant person as well. I like to walk the entire zoo, but there are some steep hills, so some people walk down the hills and try to take the buses up the hills. There's also a really fun sky tram that goes across the zoo and has great views of the entire area to downtown. It's usually cooler in the zoo because of all the plants, so I always bring a sweater, even in the summer. You can't go wrong with either choice - or both!

San Diego...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park

I suggest the zoo simply because the Wild Anmal park is on the outskirts of San Diego whereas the Zoo is just out of downtown in Balboa park.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park

The Zoo is world class,but for a more unique experience and to see the animals in a more natural enviroment,Wild Animal Park is the way to go..Either way, go early..Otherwise your favorite animal may be sleeping...

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park

Even though I live in Il - I am a zoo member & visit 1-2 times a year. The Wild Animal Park is a really unique experience. Try & fit in a truck safari - it will be the highlight of your day & gets you up close to the animals that seem far away on the Wgasa Bush Line. It still leaves you time to see all the specialy enclosures of the animals. The Zoo is also ideal if you are staying in the city. As a Zoo Docent your children will enjoy the africanlike expecerience withour realizing they are being educated. Great choice for a trip adventure - Wild Animal Park gets my vote.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,515 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Diego Zoo or Wild Animal Park

We've been to both and they are very different experiences.

If you can do only one I would say the Wild Animal Park as it will most likely be very different from anything you have visited before - unless you have been to somewhere like a safari park.

The other consideration is getting there. If you have no transport, or time, WAP is quite a way from central SD whereas the zoo is in Balboa Park which has a plethora of wonderful things to do and is 'in town'.

I'd also recommend the Science Museum and Aerospace Museum in Balboa Park - my son loved them both.

http://www.balboapark.org/

Some of the museums etc are free on Tuesdays.